Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having trouble posting under the last topic so I will try it here.

tb2,

I have this to offer for whatever it is worth.  I would love to have a tripple with the lighter weight also.  However one of our test sleds is a 175 hp mach Z.  We used this to base the 145hp renegade against.  The gade has never lost in 1000' to ANY 800 twin or tripple of ANY brand.  Now I can get 15 more HP at the same rpm with the same weight.  As much as I loved my mach for long runs, I think this twin will give most anything a fit.  It may not be the fastest in the long runs but when the stock 800's were not THAT bad, now add 30HP to it.  We also put the renegade against our own 1010 as well as a 1025 from crank shop.  The tripples creep by after 1000'.  The longer track helps out in the shorter runs but is a killer in the top end department.

I wish I could find a set of JAWS pipes to test, they are the only set I do not have.  

GLH

·
Registered
103 Posts
Damon,

I like how you qualified that, no 800 twin. Give me a ring to confirm what you want for the 800 pistons. I'm going to try and order all of what I need at one time. Kelsey has interest in a set for his 7 as well.

I'm leaving for vacation next Tuesday so try and get back to me before then. I think you have my day time phone #.

Later, Ron.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Damon,
Have you run the renagade on the grass? Curious if the 136 would help as much on that surface. I have been thinking about running a 136 to get more track on the ground myself.  with The long  suspension travel we have today the less track that can be on the ground , right. I would like to do some testing to determine when it starts to be advantages for the hp/ track length if you know what I mean. Im guessing somewear around 150 hp and up the longer track would start to help the most. After all The first 60 ft pretty much tells the story imo.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tb2,

I have often thought about that as well.  This is what we found last year.  We have an improved stock 800 (210 HP) mach z with the short track that runs 1.38-1.42 60 ft.  One of the teams that are very competitive as well runs the ck3 long track.  We had a good discussion with them about the long track.  They used to run a short track and switched.  After the race season they were hoping to switch back to the short track.  They are also around the 210 HP area and said it was not helping them and actually made them a little slower.  On the other hand our 1000 imp 250hp sled is a long track.  I would not have a 1000 imp any other way.  Keep in mind that our stock 800 twin pulls 60ft times almost as fast as the 1000 imp.  The twins "dump" so hard that it makes them hard to hook.  The tripples are much smoother and hook better.  My theory is like yours, in a twin 150+ a longer track will probably help.  There is just so much to think about.

GLH

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know what you mean about alot to think about. Wild ideas have a habit of being pretty costly also. I often wanted to go with a very shallow helix for the initial launch to try and get the sled moving a few feet before letting it shift in its normal curve, to try and cut down on track spin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts