Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Bombardier Olympic 399, and the clutch is sticking on the inside, so i have to take it off. I just want to make sure of the proper way to take it off. I was just trying to hold it and take out the bolt, but the bolt is pretty tight. I was taking the bolt off counterclockwise, i am pretty sure thats the right way.

I would really appreciate someone filling me in on how to take this clutch off. This is the first time i have ever had this off.

Thanks in advance

here's a pic of it:

[attachment=33745:new.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have a 1970 Bombardier Olympic 399, and the clutch is sticking on the inside, so i have to take it off. I just want to make sure of the proper way to take it off. I was just trying to hold it and take out the bolt, but the bolt is pretty tight. I was taking the bolt off counterclockwise, i am pretty sure thats the right way.

I would really appreciate someone filling me in on how to take this clutch off. This is the first time i have ever had this off.

Thanks in advance

here's a pic of it:

[attachment=33745:new.jpg][/b]
Early Skidoo instructions said to put a piece of rope into the sparkplug hole so the piston can't come all the way to the top and then undo the bolt like you tried. Bring the piston close to the clutch most of the way up and shove in 4-5" of 3/8" rope. This prevents the engine from turning over and you can unscrew the center bolt. Sometimes an impact gun will help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
cant i damage the crank with an impact?[/b]
Depends on how the crank is manufactured. If it is a single piece then no, you won't damage it. I would imagine though that your's is 3 or 5 pieces pressed together (much cheaper to make) if thats the case then yes an impact gun can damage it. I agree with catdoo, inset a piece of rope into one of your spark holes. This will hold your engine steady without allowing it to turn over. You will be able to break the bolt free using a breaker bar and apropriate sized 6 point socket. I work on small engines and have seen the failure caused by impact guns on the crank, believe it or not most times it is much easier with a breaker bar. Hope this helps you out and good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts