Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got this sled home and was wondering if was worth fixing?? It needs tlc on the entire machine which is okay but the motor is not original. And the gas tank has surface rust and is missing some crome and missing seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
hell ya fix that #### up it will be sick fast for a 290. It will prolly walk all over 340 and some 440 sleds of that year. F/A were fast light and handled great. will prolly walk all over my citation 300

·
Registered
17 Posts
thats a 1972 EXT 290. Great sled. I have an extra 1971 290cc engine which is the same except the i.d. tag is black instead of red.

where are you located?

thanks,
Jeff
Moorhead, MN

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the long reply. the body i'm sure is that of a 290cc sled but it has a 340cc kaw motor. thats why their are 5 holes in the hood and all the foam is out of the hood becasue it barely fits. it has a single exhaust. this sled has only 1500 miles on it. no idea were the orignial motor is. is it posible that 290cc cyclinders could slide on to my crankcrase or is it too small? the crome on the gas tank is comeing off in a few spots. how would a person fix that? I'm located in the tisdale area, saskatchewan. the ext has two switches that come from the cdi box no idea what they are ? any ideas thanks, ty

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
that engine is out of a late 70's or early 80's John Deere Spitfire or maybe a kawasaki drifter or something. pretty low preformance engine. I would search for a 71 or 72 EXT engine or at least a 73 or 74 tigre engine to get back to similar qualities of the original engine.

you can google the engine tag...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...kawasaki+tb340a

as for the gas tank, I have heard its easier to chrome a black tank that to re-chrome a peeling one. Maybe you can find one at a junk yard?

I redid a 72 EXT last winter, I have some pics on photobucket if you are interested.

I would guess the switches act as sometype of a kill switch

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/je...%20restoration/

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the motor reads..

TB339A-C202

the seria # is 011841
this other # near it, read S1-A

checked it on google and yes i looks like it came out of a jhon deer. no idea on year of the motor? 84?? I checked and their are two holes where the twin pipes were .... makes me mad that its gone, might try to find original owner in the next few months when i have more time. What other models wouild have used the 290 free air?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
71 EXT, 72 EXT, 73 Tigre(very limited build), 74 Tigre all used a similar version of the 290cc.
You could also find a 340 or 440 cc Tigre or EXT engine and it should work pretty well for you.

Good Luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have got a olympique 300 motor running good last night so i will probly start on the ext soon. the kaw motor in it only needs a piston so i'll just fix that and use that for now. thanks jeffmsu for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts