Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys - I have a chance to get my hands on a 1971 Ski-Whiz - the fella told me it runs but really just needs a good clean-up. Is anyone familiar with these sleds? I am not much of a mechanic and would like to see it go to someone with a real love of the antiques - I know there are some of you on here. What would something like that be worth? I don't want to pay too much for it.

thanks

Scott

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh, the memories, that wire rope recoil was a real dream.

Cheers, Mark :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 3 of them old ski-whiz machines. They are parked now as I got older and could afford new stuff. My family owned a Massey Ferguson dealership, and sold those things by the truckload in the early 70's. Parts are not too hard to come by, hold on to my email [email protected] I could always help you out. Also the only thing you will run into is that the owners manual for those machines say oil/fuel should be mixed 20:1, that ensures you foul plugs every 50 miles or so, you will be better off to go with about a 40:1 ratio and use a lead addative in your gasoline. If the sled you are looking at is an SST it has electric start, which means hopefully you won't have to fight those wire rope recoil starters, once they start to fray its all over with for those things, maybe a person could figure out how to replace it with regular rope. I had a lot of fun with those Ski-Whiz machines as a kid, you should like yours too.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It all depends on what the body looks like, and if there is spark. Most times all you really need to do is get a complete overhaul kit for the carb and clean out the gas tank. Maybe replace some gas lines, and just clean everything up. As far as the price goes, I've seen some pretty junky sleds go expensive, and I've seen some really nice sleds go cheap! Personally, I have 14 sleds, and I can honestly say that I have not paid more than $50 for a sled! And 4 of them were cherry to begin with. I wouldn't mind adding it to my arsenal!

Brother D

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a Ski-Whiz, pretty strong little ####### too. Mine is just the baby 297cc I think its a 19hp Rockwell engine? Regardless me and my little brother bout 5 yrs ago used to make a lil gas money pullin cars out of the ditch or down our uplowwed road in the morning so they could make it to work. Pretty slow prolly 35mph tops never clocked it so thats a guess. One thing is you CANNOT get that lil thing stuck "it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin" Fun machine nothing special but it makes a good conversation sittin in the yard. My 10 yr old brother drives it now, great sled for little kids, plus it adds a little more fun then a Mini. Only problem is the pull wire frayed and snapped so I had to take the recoil off and rap a rope around it to start it from now on, kinda a pain in the butt if it doesn't start first or second pull, not to mention it is to difficult for my lil brother to do so i ussually have to do it. If anyone has the recoil setup with the pull rope in good shape for a reasonable price email me i may be interested as I would like to have my lil brother maybe ride with me a couple times this winter on the old tank.
Thanx,
Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts