Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to rebuild a 72 GP292 and I'm in the process of putting the motor together. The set of rings that came with the new piston has 2 types, the first which is a straight cut ring I'm assuming is the compression ring, and the second is an "L" shaped ring which I would think is the oil ring. My question is does the L shaped ring face down towards the skirt? I would assume so but wanted to ask this forum in case anyone can confirm or tell me otherwise.

Thanks in advance,

HDhttp://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/dozingoff.gif
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/style...t/dozingoff.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I should add, which ring goes where? I've seen references to the L ring being on top and others where it's on the bottom.

Thanks,

HD

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Also I should add, which ring goes where? I've seen references to the L ring being on top and others where it's on the bottom.

Thanks,

HD[/b]
A GP piston only has one ring. Is this a Yamaha part or aftermarket? The "L" goes on top and sits like the letter "L"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A GP piston only has one ring. Is this a Yamaha part or aftermarket? The "L" goes on top and sits like the letter "L"[/b]

It's actually a piston for an SL292 since GP292 pistons are next to impossible to find. The rings are Kimpex and the "L" ring seems to be slightly larger that the groove cut into the piston, to the point where I can't seem to compress it enough to slide it into the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
It's actually a piston for an SL292 since GP292 pistons are next to impossible to find. The rings are Kimpex and the "L" ring seems to be slightly larger that the groove cut into the piston, to the point where I can't seem to compress it enough to slide it into the cylinder.[/b]
Did you place the ring alone into the cylinder to check end gap? Should be at least .006",
maybe you have an oversize piston.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you place the ring alone into the cylinder to check end gap? Should be at least .006",
maybe you have an oversize piston.[/b]

Looking at more it turns out the ring is slight wider than the groove in the piston which is why I can't get it to seat right.

Thanks for the info on where and which way the "L" goes.

-HD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts