Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this sled for dirt cheap. got it home and it fired first pull. I was shocked. i am gonna clean the carbs up, recover the seat and pray it lasts all winter. Just curious if anyone has ever owned one, or knew anyone that has.... maybe someone knows the value of it, and could help me decide how far into this project i should go. thanks

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I just picked up this sled for dirt cheap. got it home and it fired first pull. I was shocked. i am gonna clean the carbs up, recover the seat and pray it lasts all winter. Just curious if anyone has ever owned one, or knew anyone that has.... maybe someone knows the value of it, and could help me decide how far into this project i should go. thanks[/b]
There is no such thing.............they stopped making 640 TNT's in 1972. Maybe this sled wasn't registered until 1974. If it's a 1974 chassis, maybe somebody put a 640 engine into it. I had one from brand new back in '72 and the only problem I remember was that the carbs would shake themselves off and it would suck in intake gaskets. Never burned up though. I don't imagine they're worth a lot. Is it on bogies or sliders? How many miles on it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is no such thing.............they stopped making 640 TNT's in 1972. Maybe this sled wasn't registered until 1974. If it's a 1974 chassis, maybe somebody put a 640 engine into it. I had one from brand new back in '72 and the only problem I remember was that the carbs would shake themselves off and it would suck in intake gaskets. Never burned up though. I don't imagine they're worth a lot. Is it on bogies or sliders? How many miles on it?[/b]
I have never even heard of a 640 I had a 74 340 and a 440 blew them both up. what color is it ?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I have never even heard of a 640 I had a 74 340 and a 440 blew them both up. what color is it ?[/b]
That's why they named them TNT :lmao:

BTW: They also had 775 TNT's back then, also discontinued in 1972

·
Registered
20 Posts
are those sleds free air or fans?im going to search for pics any suggestions

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
are those sleds free air or fans?im going to search for pics any suggestions[/b]
They were fan cooled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your guys input. I guess it is a 72. its definetely a 640. and the tags all over the frame and motor say 640. cant beat what i paid for it. as soon as i can get some pics of it ill post, but it looks basically the same as the pic posted above. same basic color scheme. Im just hoping i can get it running reliably b4 winter working with the small budget im on. anymore info or discussion is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I hope you're planning this as a "vintage" project. I can't imagine doing much trail riding w/ it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a vintage restore..... just tryin to piece it together to drag out to lake stclair with my buddies. just need it running good enough to run around on the lake and around my neighborhood. NEW QUESTION: i filled up the chain case with oil and it seems to be leaking out. Common?How hard is it gonna be to fix? is it worth the effort or should i just dump out of thsi project? It seems like its leaking almost equally on both sides of the belly pan and not directly under the chain case. I have my finger on the eject button waiting to get out as soon as it looks grim. But keep in mind at this point have $35 into this project.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Might be an axle seal inside the tunnel, a cheap part but labour intensive. You have to take the chain case cover off and remove the gears so you can remove the front axle to replace the oil seal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm... ok well how much damage could i cause running without the chaincase oil? Maybe i fill the reservoir b4 i ride and run for a couple hours? shouldnt have much affect on the way the machine runs should it? im sure than are long run risks, but its a $50 sled and im not trying to restore it.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
If you top it off each time you ride, I can't see a problem, I'd go with #90 gear oil so it doesn't run out too fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts