Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1978 Kawasaki Intriguer 440 that runs and idles but has no Power to move, it just sits there and bogs. I cleaned the Carb and the Fuel System so it isn't that. Will an engine still run if the Crank seals or head gaskets are gone? Could this be the problem? Thanks. CAM

Anybody interested in trading a Sled for a Sled? If they (seals) have to be changed that much I would rather have something else. Any Takers?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
From the little experience i have i would say yes, but wait for more people to voice their opinion. Another problem might be it is too hot out. On my vintage sled if its over 70 its wont have any power but it will idle fine.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
yes it will and it can burn down doing it. my invader (that I have done the seals in 13 times over its life) it will pull like a bull then it will fall on its face when it sucks too much air, which seems to be about 35 mph. kaws are real bad about the seals.

·
Registered
258 Posts
not sure but i have that exact same sled i am planning on rebuilding so if it dont and you want to part it out i will take your hood...lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it will and it can burn down doing it. my invader (that I have done the seals in 13 times over its life) it will pull like a bull then it will fall on its face when it sucks too much air, which seems to be about 35 mph. kaws are real bad about the seals.[/b]

13 times! What a drag! Looks like a rebuild. Oh well. Thanks all for the Feedback. Now where do I get a Clutch Puller for this thing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello. I have a 1978 Kawasaki Intriguer 440 that runs and idles but has no Power to move, it just sits there and bogs. I cleaned the Carb and the Fuel System so it isn't that. Will an engine still run if the Crank seals or head gaskets are gone? Could this be the problem? Thanks. CAM[/b]

That would be great! Thanks!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
having owned this machine this long its to be expected. kaws eat them. well not really. but the seal was just so huge and not getting used enough don't help. I have been told thay make a nice seal for them now with aluminum between the inner and outer to help the problem. I however have not used it for so many years I have not updated it. I may over the summer get it out and ready for the sw ride. ohhh yeah boys look out kawasaki with twin aaaen pipes lookin' to go. :lmao:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a 1978 Kawasaki Intriguer 440 that runs and idles but has no Power to move, it just sits there and bogs. I cleaned the Carb and the Fuel System so it isn't that. Will an engine still run if the Crank seals or head gaskets are gone? Could this be the problem? Thanks. CAM

Anybody interested in trading a Sled for a Sled? If they (seals) have to be changed that much I would rather have something else. Any Takers?[/b]
hey i have the same sled and it was doing the same thing and i did everything that you did and it turned out that the new plugs that were in it one of them was bad so i put two new plugs in and it runs great now. but to answer your question yes a sled will still run if the crank seal is gone i'm not sure about a head gasket.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hey i have the same sled and it was doing the same thing and i did everything that you did and it turned out that the new plugs that were in it one of them was bad so i put two new plugs in and it runs great now. but to answer your question yes a sled will still run if the crank seal is gone i'm not sure about a head gasket.[/b]
it will run if the head gasket is blown mine blew and it ran it was just slow very slow bout top speed 20kmh also it was liquid cooled so was spitting out lots of coolant mixed with gas and oil :christmas:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Running it with bad crank seals is not a good idea. Over on kawasakitrax.com, they always say religiously to change the crank seals if you know that their bad, or if the sled hasn't been ridden in a few years. Many people have burned down their Kawasaki engines by not changing them.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Check the fuel and spark and the sec clutch before you start pulling apart the motor pull the belt and give her a little gas see if she revs up then if so put the belt back on and check the track see if you can turn it . Also check the chaincase. If the motor runs and Idles good it is worth the time to check them other things .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts