Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I've got the oppurtunity to scoop up a 1978 skidoo RV 340. I'd like to due some restoration work, it's in decent shape, needs some things. Is it worth it? I see alot of guys on here seem to like the old RV's.

Let me know what you think, and what I should give the guy for it.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If you can, start it up and warm it up. The Bosch PolarFire ingition boxes are finicky and when they go they don't advance the ignition timing. They are nearly impossible to find in good working condition.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a spare one....beside there is a company that makes aftermarket polarfire boxes that are way better then OEM!

If you can, start it up and warm it up. The Bosch PolarFire ingition boxes are finicky and when they go they don't advance the ignition timing. They are nearly impossible to find in good working condition.[/b]

·
Registered
278 Posts
The R/V's are an awesome fun riding sled. I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing with it. Some parts are hard to find but they do pop up from time to time. As someone stated up thread there is aftermarket CDI boxes available from Scott Hewitt (cdibox.com). How complete is the sled? Does it run? What condition is the rack, chassis, seat? Does it have the 3 wire kill switch and handlebar pad? If so what condition are they in. As for the price it all depends on what you can afford and condition of the sled. I've seen go from free to $2000+. A ballpark is around 1k. There is a 77 RV on ebay what might just ended or still going. Look at that one and see how the one your looking at compares and go from there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna grab it guys, the owner has no idea of it's value. It's not running, but only due to minor issues. It hasn't had a carb clean or fresh fuel in years, luckily it was fogged, and the cylinders are in good shape. Everything is in tact, including a very nice track, tunnel, belly pan. No real dents, missing windshield. Seats intact, could use resurfacing though.

I'll post when I pick it up, you can tell me if it was a good find.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts