Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these, know anything about them, or know where to get parts for them? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a 78 ET250 for about 12 years. I run it hard, and it won't die. :D Any specifics that you are looking for?

Cheers

78 Yamaha 250ET
2000 Polaris Magnum 500

·
Registered
493 Posts
Some of the older yammies have engine problems. Id go for a 1983 enticer. I had a 300 twin special and it went for ever till some condensation got in the oil tnk over hte summer and froze the oil line hte next winter. She went squeaaaaaaak. :angry:

SWRules

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
WATCH OUT FOR DA CLUTHES!! REV UP, REV DOWN< REV UP, clutch blows out through the side of the hood. ???

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a very common sled, tonnes of them still around and still being used. Parts are all the same up to at least 1983. You local sled scrap dealer probably has blenty of parts, although you hardly would need any. Fast, realiable, easy to drive and I've never heard anyone have any clutch problems. Another true mile stone in snowmobiling.

·
Registered
493 Posts
U gotta be careful with hte clutches. Not very often but they have just let go and blowen rite up through hte hood or belly pan :( ;)

SWRules

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have a 78 ET250 and I love that sled. It will run over 70mph with my 210lbs lard butt on it. It is a great sled for the kids to tool around the hood with, and it is one sled that I know will make it back home....I would not sell it for anything.
I found alot of the parts that I needed for mine on ebay. Maxx Pitts in Peru Indiana has 2 440 Enticers for sale, or atleast last winter they did. Both sleds were in great shape and if my memory serves me well (I am getting old ya know), they wanted around $500 apiece for them

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by mxzwfo@Jun 11 2003, 08:49 PM
It will run over 70mph with my 210lbs lard butt on it.
I dont think a 250 enticer will do 70mph. Ive seen 340 enticers that are luckey to even dream of that speed.

SWRules

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 1980 300 Enticer. I bought one because that's what I learned to ride on back in 1981 when I first started snowmobiling. I was lucky enough to find one that was rarely used for the past twenty years so I took advantage of the opportunity. These sleds were, and still are great machines to ride. Two years ago I took that sled, along with my 1979 440 Exciter up to the U.P. with my family (don't laugh), and put hundreds of miles on each of them and had a great time doing it, albeit getting lots of stairs at the restaruants and gas stations.

My 440 (stock) will do 85mph consistently and run that way WOT all day long. The 300 isn't far behind and will do 70mph in the same manner. These sleds are light, therefore allowing for the faster speeds with less cc's. They're bulletproof and are easy to work on if need be.

Having moved up to bigger and better things, I still have both sleds as "holiday" toys and goof around sleds, although the 300 is now my seven year old boys' sled. It's a much better platform for him than a sno-scoot, not to mention the tinker-toy kids' sleds they put out these days. I should mention that it is my son's sled when he can get me off of it. I'm trying to sell him on my EX440.

Jon

·
Registered
166 Posts
Geeze, years ago, one of my first sleds was a 77 exciter 440 AC.
I swear to you, even now I think it was the best sled I eva had? OK the suspension wasn't the greatest but, that sled would move :) the fastest I went with her on the lake was just short 160 kms ~ 99 miles/hour. Back then that was fast.
This was the one sled I had that I never had to fix, except for the the main shock on the suspension, I was changing that sucker every season?
I bought it from a local TV studio that had bought it for a commercial in 1978, it was used for three days on the commercial than parked in the studio garage until around 1989/90 when I bought it. They told me for the price I was paying I wasn't aloud to start it, the sale was "as is" "as seen" "as touched".
Anyways I paid something like $600 Canadian ~ $400 US. It was the best $600 I ever spent.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ya I have an old 75 GP433 ... that I love to ride ... people just come around you and ask what you got there , my boy will be 14 this year ... looks like it will be his first sled . And yes them old Yams are fast . it can stay with my Piped and punched out Phazer .

·
Registered
453 Posts
My uncle has an 81 Enticer Longtrack.It starts better then my 97 cougar,his ZRT 600 and half the other sleds we own.Never had any clutch problems actually never had any problems period best Ice fishing sled weve ever had.Can not KILL Them!!!
And we have tried I don't think its possible(well anything is possible) Call AL'S Snowmobile in New Hampshire they will have parts for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
79 ET250 went 70 mph, clocked by a 1981 skidoo, won beat, know first hand. Safari does know sled. listen to people that have had one and yes lots of parts new and used arround and you could probably find a parts sled arround or visit your local sled wreckers if you feel like being gouged. You need to keep clutches maintained on all sleds, nothing common to this one. The older the sled and more miles gauranteed will need clutch looked at.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I see them on the trails by me a lot of farm kids around here, cental savage in greenbay wis also has lots of new and used parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Between me and my buddy Joe we have like 5 enticer 250s. 3 are complete 2 for parts. They seem to be pretty common. Parts are available from most places like Dennis kirk or ebay etc. make sure you get your carb diaphragms and gaskets from Yamaha only! the aftermarket kits usually dont have provisions for the choke circuit to work properly on these goofy keihin carbs and ask to get the print out of the carb from the parts guy to use for a guide for reassembly. One thing I noticed is the older et250s like 79 and back with the steel primary clutches arent as fast. The 80 and newer have the nice aluminum primary you can actually get a clutch puller for and work on (tune and clean) and seem to be calibrated much much better. The one I ride most has the oil injection gear taken right out from behind the primary so theres no more bs with that pump turning and seizing or the gear stripping. I just mix 32:1, the whole pump assy. and bottle is off of it. the airbox is a junk too I just use a k&n. also the fuel shutoff valves can create lots of problems by not letting gas flow through when they get wore out. I just bypassed it and unbolted all that junk too :). I swear this thing is feather light now, it goes 60+ even on warm days. I just got done making a SWEET exhaust from a 1999 cr250 pipe and silencer for it complete with a custom flange, it took off like 3 more pounds. Also a set of bmx handlebars make a nice replacement for the bendy stock ones, I used the grips too and cut the flange off of them for the throttle and brake lever there nice and soft. These old sleds rock!!:devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own two Enticer 340 (Excel III's). I have owned a total of five of them over the years. They are absolutely one of the most reliable sleds ever produced. We have a little ET340 that we keep in the barn as a spare sled\tow truck. The track should have been gone over 10 years ago, but it hangs in. Always starts within two pulls. We have guys that ride Wildcats, Formulas, Indys, etc. You have no idea HOW MANY times someone has had to go back and get the Enticer out of the barn to either pull a sled back, or they have had to use the Enticer as a spare if they wanted to keep riding with us that day. It always works. ALWAYS. Period. No one that has ever been around it, ever makes fun of it. It is highly respected by all riders, and especially my son.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts