Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just picked up a '79 El Tigre that currently doesn't run. I was told I needed some carb parts, and may have a gasket leak. As to where, neither they or I know. I ordered all the parts I know I need, and expect to have quite a few questions in the coming days, as I am completely new to snowmobiles.

My first question:
The drop case is completely dry. What type of oil do I need, how much do I fill it with, and is it something I could pick up from autozone? There aren't any sled shops close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, chaincase is what I meant. I wasn't sure exactly what to call it and I found "dropcase" used on several parts websites.
And, after running a search, which I should have done previously, I came up with this:

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/78748/display.aspx

Which suggests gear oil isn't the best to use... Transmission fluid sounds like something that would be appropriate for this application.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now my next question: Does anyone know what year this hood is? The sled says it's a '79, but the hood doesn't match any pictures of a '79 I've seen.

sled2.jpg

sled1.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
if i'm correct them green lines on the sides came out in 76-77. my friend fix up a 77 5000 and is now drag raceing it. if you take out the suspention be careful with the crossaft becuase if you break the blot it take a long time to fix. just thought to tell that, just in case becuase it's a real head ac.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if i'm correct them green lines on the sides came out in 76-77. my friend fix up a 77 5000 and is now drag raceing it. if you take out the suspention be careful with the crossaft becuase if you break the blot it take a long time to fix. just thought to tell that, just in case becuase it's a real head ac.
76 and 77 were the last two years of the Kawasaki powered El Tigre. It looked like a hopped up Jag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts