Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a 1980 blizzard 5500 to start. Fuel all the way to the carbs and it will fire when the primer is used. As soon the primer gas is gone it will not continue. Do I need to replace the fuel pump or have I overlooked something else. :bash:

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
231 Posts
i remember a similar problem a friend had with the same sled... although i can't for the life of me remember what fixed it. i want to say it was something wrong with the primer ball its self, but i could be TOTAL off. if i was you, i would pull the fuel line off of the carb, pull it over a few times, and see if anything comes out. check all the lines for kinks/plugs, make sure that the gas cap is working right (ie, not creating a vacume in the tank) and if all that looks ok, i would say you are right on with your fuel pump diagnosis. good luck with that thing

- Jason

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If it's been sitting awhile then it' could be plugged/gummed up jets, if it was running fine the day before ya needs a pump

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the help

I am going to try and take the jets out tonight and see if that is the problem. All of the fuel lines seem fine (I just replaced them and the primer pump). Hope it runs by the weekend.

Thanks again
Luke :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
a buddy of mine had the same problem, pulled the gas through all the way to the carbs and no further, we threw gas straight in the cylinders and it sucked it right through, i guess it just needed some assistance. probaly wouldn't reccomend it though.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
It could be stuck floats as well .. take the carbs completely apart and give them a good cleaning.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Yep, good advice. If the sled has been sitting for an extended period of time or was stored without Stabilizer then you could very well have a gummed up carb. The primer system overcomes that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help :!:

Got it running last night but still need to do some tuning on the carbs.
Town police officer was less than impressed.

Thanks again for all the help.

Luke

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to get a 1980 blizzard 5500 to start. Fuel all the way to the carbs and it will fire when the primer is used. As soon the primer gas is gone it will not continue. Do I need to replace the fuel pump or have I overlooked something else. :bash: i have the same problem its fires for a sec then dies can i have help thanks ed

Thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts