Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first sled and was trying to adjust engine idling. I turned the lean/rich mixture screw by mistake and as reasult having a hard time to start the engine.
I need help as procedures to re-adjust the carb mixture and also the idling screw too.
thanks in advance!!!

Also, need advise on how to start Enticer as regard to : open full choke first, pull once, then half choke, second pull etc. Honestly, I have no experience at all. thank you again.

Right now I have to pull at least 10-12 time to get engine to start. Once it starts the rpm seems to me is very high, then when I try to press the throtle to run the sled, the engine stall.

·
Registered
65 Posts
okay, first off, turn in that idle mix screw in all the way, until lightly seated..DONT crank it in hard, just turn it in easy, till it bottoms out..
then, count the turns, and back it out 1 1/2 turns..

who knows what condition your plugs are now in, so grab a couple new plugs, throw um in, hit full choke, and pull until it fires up, then start easing the choke off, but not so fast it stalls, just slowly back off the choke, until it idles on its own..

once you get the choke completly off, and its idleing on its own, just let it idle for a few minutes, then shut it off, and pull the plugs, and take a plug read..it will tell you where your are, on your adjustment..

can you take pics, and post on here??

Did you get this sled from someone you know? whats the history of it, not trying to hammer questions on ya, just wondering why ya had to mess with the carb in the first place? got fresh gas, good oil mix ect??

·
Registered
347 Posts
spark plug gap- .7 -.8 mm (.020 - .024 in)
ignigtion timing- 1.6 + or - .1mm BTDC
air pilot - 1.0 turns out
idle speed- 1700 rpm
float height- 25 + or - 1mm (.98 + or - .04 in)
chain case quantity- 400cc (15.21 oz)

i have an 84 enticer 340. these are the specs from it. i usually open the choke all the way until it fires and then i just let it idle for about 15 seconds and turn the choke off and it will run by itself. try backing out the mixture needle out 1 turn and if it runs fine, leave it at that. but if it dies off getting up in speed try backing it out until it runs good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, first off, turn in that idle mix screw in all the way, until lightly seated..DONT crank it in hard, just turn it in easy, till it bottoms out..
then, count the turns, and back it out 1 1/2 turns..

who knows what condition your plugs are now in, so grab a couple new plugs, throw um in, hit full choke, and pull until it fires up, then start easing the choke off, but not so fast it stalls, just slowly back off the choke, until it idles on its own..

once you get the choke completly off, and its idleing on its own, just let it idle for a few minutes, then shut it off, and pull the plugs, and take a plug read..it will tell you where your are, on your adjustment..

can you take pics, and post on here??

Did you get this sled from someone you know? whats the history of it, not trying to hammer questions on ya, just wondering why ya had to mess with the carb in the first place? got fresh gas, good oil mix ect??[/b]
thanks for your input......I bottom out the mixture screw and then back out 1 1/2 turns. have the choke on fully open. first two pulls I can hear the cyclinder/engine fire up a short second then stop.....keep pulling about 7 times (choke still on high) still not start. I then took the two spark plug out and find out one of them is flooded that it contain a few drop of fuel inside the plug. The other plug is not flood but wet a bit.
My question is should I keep pulling with the choke on high or should close the choke after one or two pull to prevent from flooding the plug.

I'll get new plugs to try again tomorrow, BTW......can those "quick start " products help at all at least to start the engine???

I bought this sled from an ad on local paper. He claimed that the carb was fully cleaned and the engine did start on two pull before I mistakenly turn the mixture screw. I just want to adjust the mixture screw to make it running again. thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
okay, first off, I`d go ahead and set the screw to 1 turn out, as K mentioned, i was thinking these were suppose to be at 1 1/2 from the factory..my bad..
anyway, sounds like that motor is really loaded up with gas, I`d remove both plugs, and leave the choke OFF, and pull the hell out of it to clear it out some..then, after doing so, throw a couple new plugs in, and before trying the choke, just pull err a few times, and see what happens..

with the screw set back to where its suppose to be..I think they key here, is to clear out that floaded motor, and try some NEW plugs..its amazing what a couple fresh plugs can do!

·
Registered
347 Posts
like al vmax said. you more then likely have excess gas in your cylinders causing it not to start. also, a side note.... do not leave your plugs out for an extensive time... like overnight..... it will cause moisture build up in your cylinders.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have a 300 Enticer many years ago, an early '80's model. Was a very good sled, other than fixing the clutch after 5,000km and new sliders and runners, I really never spent much money on it. Put over 14000 km on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, first off, I`d go ahead and set the screw to 1 turn out, as K mentioned, i was thinking these were suppose to be at 1 1/2 from the factory..my bad..
anyway, sounds like that motor is really loaded up with gas, I`d remove both plugs, and leave the choke OFF, and pull the hell out of it to clear it out some..then, after doing so, throw a couple new plugs in, and before trying the choke, just pull err a few times, and see what happens..

with the screw set back to where its suppose to be..I think they key here, is to clear out that floaded motor, and try some NEW plugs..its amazing what a couple fresh plugs can do![/b]
today I have time to try again on the Enticer 340, as suggested, I set the screw to 1 turn out; the choke is off, pull three time I can hear the engine starting to fire and it did. Hurray!!! Thanks a lot guys. I left the engine running, after may be minutes it stopped. (I probably need to readjust the idling screw.

More questions please!
1. I try to restart the engine with choke on full but it did not start after 6-7 pull. I then took both plug out and found out one spark plug is flooded that I can shake a few drop of gas out) but the other one look ok. Is there any explanation here???

2. I then put an other dry set of plugs back into cyclinder, tie the throttle to the end (all the way down, which I was told to block fuel to go to engine, is that right?) Anyway, after two pull the engine response and mgiht be one more pull it start again. Any explanation here??

3. I let the engine keep running, hoping that it would be warm up so I can adjust the idling speed. Air temp at Toronto was -12 C. From here I needed to stay with the Throttle to give a little bit of gas when the engine is going to die. With this the engine ran about 10 minutes which
i think should be warm up. When I left for some tools the engine stalled. I try to restart but have some problem. I need to press and hold the throttle and pull a few time to make the engine to start. I check the vaccum tube there is no sign of leakage.

Would anyone help me these question???? Thanks in advance!!!

Harry

·
Registered
195 Posts
I then put an other dry set of plugs back into cyclinder, tie the throttle to the end (all the way down, which I was told to block fuel to go to engine, is that right?) Anyway, after two pull the engine response and mgiht be one more pull it start again. Any explanation here??[/b]
that does not "block" fuel from going to the engine. What you're doing is allowing LOTS of air through which drys off the plugs......youre engine was flooded......that was the problem.

If the engine hasn't run for a long time, then you'll need FULL choke. As soon as the engine starts, then flip the choke off. If the engine was running within the last couple of hours, first try starting with the choke OFF. Pull it 2 times. If it doesn't start, set choke to half and pull 2 more times, if the engine still doesn't start, then put choke to full and pull unitl it starts. If it still won't start, then hold throttle wide open and pull until it starts. With time, you will find out how the engine will start cold and warm and you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My enticer idles perfect, has good compression (140), and runs good and it takes 10-12 pulls on a cold day to start.
Try replacing plugs they'll be NGK brand. Model: BR9ES.

If it won't idle, your needle valve may be gone. My mechanic told me that because mine is shot but for some reason it idles perfect.

I have the same year Enticer and it has electric start. Look under the hood on the right side (when sitting on the seat) and if there is a spot for a battery beside the flywheel cover then it likely has electric start. I just got mine rigged up and its awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts