Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody on this forum ever owned a 1981 SRX 440(YAMAHA)? Don't want to go into such a long conversation unless somebody else has, this sled is a true "crotch rocket" of its time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I owned a 1980 SRX440 gold tunnel edition, it was a fast sled, but found I was always wrenching on it to much, since it was my only sled, I would buy another one for a second sled, the past week I saw a 1981 srx440 for &#36600 canadaian in the niagra falls area!!!  

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for coming by with your input SRV540! That sled was a gem until she blew. I found out that 81" SRX's were all recalled. You had two choices in 81', either give it back for &#362200 or keep it and they would fixed it over a matter of a couple years. Well the previous owners of my sled never had any problems so they took the chance. It gave them 1700 miles of great service and gave me another 1000 until she went. I don't regret buying it at all. This was my first soley owned sled and it tickled my b*lls, therefore I can't complain!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a 80 SRX, and that thing ate pistons for lunch.  Always wrenching on something, and still couldn't get it to run right.  It was fast, but not for very long.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah my old SRX was fast alright!! But the thing is with these things is to keep the jetting a little fat I found...
I new a guy that through a 570 ex motor in a 81 and it was a great sled with that motor!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Owned one for 1 season. This machine put on more miles being towed. Went like a rocket, but it was always a slow walk home. Couldn't keep pistons in it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 1980srx I had was the quickest,but you had to wrench it every time out.Updated to an 81 and  was it slow.Nothing helped that tub,I just hated it.Ugly too.After blowing the engine[ran it to lean trying to get power]bought an 82 srv 540 fan,which was almost as fast as the 81 srx.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I used to have an 81 srx and what a pig it was!! Always something breaking down! When it run, it would run like a bat but nothing as good as todays sleds. I was going to trade her in on a 82 srx but they were so poor they stopped production and never made it to the showroom. I chose the srv instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owned one for several years.  Same reaction as everyone else. Sure was a cool looking sled.  I put SRV seat and Exciter rear suspension on sled, what a difference, too bad motor never held up.  An old neighbor now has it and is trying to figure out how to put a VMax-4 motor in it.  It may live again!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have a78 and 79 i use synthetic oil and have not had any probs at all and i beat the heck out of them because they are so lite and and real fast i love um

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Yamaha 440 Exciter fan cooled jobby, and it is almost as fast as a SRV and 1000% more reliable. I've also towed home a buddy several times when his SRV suffered one of it's many meltdowns. You really must be mechanically inclined and also enjoy the constant wrenching required to stay on the snow.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hi there: i had an 82 srv and my buddy had the 81 srx and another had an 83vmax . the srx was the fstest of all. it was quite a bit faster then my srv ans about 3 lengths ahead of the vmax. the srx was way ahead of its time. he never had a problem with the sled. but he would run an oil addittive in his gas. but with todays oils u would have to run a good synthetic. what blew on your sled?

·
Registered
1 Posts
me and my buddy just got a 81 srx 400 with t.s.s, we just finished putting it back together, it's the newest menber to our race team.
we took it for a run in 660 ft and it's mind blowing!!!!!! :hallo1:
it has over 139 hp, it idles at just over 5000 rpm, it has stinger pipes
and the power band is roughly 7200 rpm to just uder 10000rpm, between this you had better HOLD ON!!! we had it radar in 75 ft it is going 114 mph, we have to radar slip to prove it.

so it you see team

D.C. Racing

you don't have a chance !!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got an 80 SRX L/C last year and love the speed!Little did I realize that the water pump was failing about 20 miles from home.I shut it down when I realized there was a problem and before major damage occoured.We still went through the top end and repaired the wp.Now I need to find the rite clutch setup for a 102c & 96 stud's.Any suggestion's?
Has anybody tried the ski spreader's for more stability at the higher speed's?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts