Snowmobile World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 polaris 440 SS. Basically A barn find from the family Farm. Cleaned it up and got a few minor things fixed up on it. Right now the last issue is the Carburetor. It will not start without the Help of Starting Fluid. It will take off but when it Idles down it dies. Only to start again with the Starting Fluid. It will run until it tries to idle. I need help knowing what to adjust so I can get it to Idle. Then also adjusting so I know I have enough Oil mixing in with the gas.

Thanks

Mark
[email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
With a machine that has been sitting that long, you'll most certainly have to get into the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning. I'd put money on the internals being varnished up and jets plugged. If you've already cleaned them, then you may have a problem with the fuel pump. Another possibility is a major air leak. Clean the carbs and you should be fine. Adjust the oil pump so the lines on the pump and lever line up with the throttle not depressed. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. -Polaris Doc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts