Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past winter, I picked up a 1986 El Tigre 6000 and a 1985 Cougar in excellent condition.

The only problem is the speedo on the El Tigre does not work. The Cougar tops out around 55 mph, but the El Tigre seems to go quite a bit faster (70 or 75???).

I'm not an expert snowmobiler or mechanic by any means (luckily, I have a retired neighbor that loves to tinker on things if I have any problems).

So, does anybody know what the top speeds should be for these sleds?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have an 1989 EXT Eltigr'e 530. I have had it up 85 mph. But if your speedometer doesn't work It's either the cable snapped inside, or your bearing. I would have it fixed before you run it. If there is a piece broken off inside where the cable goes in. That might do some damage to the inner parts.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I have an '87 El Tigre 6000 that has been modified for racing by the previous owner. He added aftermarket twin tuned pipes, bigger carbs, clutch work and who knows what else. If I can believe the speedometer across the lake it can tickle 100 with the right conditions (good snowpack, right air temp / jets combo, good tailwind, etc).

It needs a little tlc now but with some luck I hope to get it ready for this fall's radar run. I always meant to get it there but never managed to...

My speedo went out several times - there is a little keeper pin (or connector? - can't remember, it has been too long) where the cable goes in down by the drive shaft. I kept snapping these things until I replaced the whole assmebly by the drive shaft. That fixed the problem for good. If the gears on the lower end bind even a little it snaps the connector to protect the speedometer cable.

dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an '87 El Tigre 6000 that has been modified for racing by the previous owner. He added aftermarket twin tuned pipes, bigger carbs, clutch work and who knows what else. If I can believe the speedometer across the lake it can tickle 100 with the right conditions (good snowpack, right air temp / jets combo, good tailwind, etc).

It needs a little tlc now but with some luck I hope to get it ready for this fall's radar run. I always meant to get it there but never managed to...

My speedo went out several times - there is a little keeper pin (or connector? - can't remember, it has been too long) where the cable goes in down by the drive shaft. I kept snapping these things until I replaced the whole assmebly by the drive shaft. That fixed the problem for good. If the gears on the lower end bind even a little it snaps the connector to protect the speedometer cable.

dave[/b]

Thanks for the information. I know I won't be "tickling 100" with this sled (although it sounds like fun).

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Cougar(500fan) is a 75-80mph sled

Elitgre 6000(530LC) is a 90mph sled

BTW I thought 86 was the 1st year for the Cougar?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I know the 86-88 were basically the same dual outboard and light in mid cab

in 89 they came out with the fast track 7 or 8 travel and light top of cab

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cougar(500fan) is a 75-80mph sled

Elitgre 6000(530LC) is a 90mph sled

BTW I thought 86 was the 1st year for the Cougar?[/b]

It's funny, originally, I thought the Cougar was an 86, too.

However, it is an '85. It says it's a "special edition" -- I'm not sure what is special about it, though.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Was,nt the 6000 the 440 motor that year?[/b]
yes if it was 78/79/80

In 81/85 they were 500 premix

86-89 they were 530

the 87-89 Eltigre 5000 was 440LC

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a 84 premix had a nice ride but top heavy toped about 70 with pipes and kN , My son,s 94 zr 580 is much faster stock tops out 87 on the gun.

·
Registered
741 Posts
85 cougar was the first year. It will be a little slower due to only having one carb and detuned from what the 86-89 were. Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts