Snowmobile World banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to clean these carbs on my 88 Exciter and I go about getting ready to take them out, and I lift the hood, seeing that I have to remove the fairing that sticks out over the airbox, to even gain access to the carbs. So I start to remove a few screws and then start thinking that there is NO WAY this piece of cover is coming over without taking the entire steering column apart. I am lost at what to do. I have looked in my Clymers book with NO luck. What have you others that have these machines done that I am doing wrong.

I am a Polaris guy, those are pretty easy to work on. This thing is a bear to work on so far.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Is there any way you could post a pic of the engine bay so we can see where the problem is? Does the problem you're having have anything to do with the airbox intake that goes under and around the steering column? If so, it simply just pulls off the side of the airbox. Just wiggle and pull on that piece of plastic pipe and it will come off.
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Not sure if that's where your problem is.......

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry, just re-read your post. You might be able to take the screws out and spin the "dash" around so it's outta the way, if not, then yes, you'll have to remove the fairing and handlebar covers so that you can lift the "dash" high enough to give you room to pull the airbox.
Guess I should have paid a little more attention to your questions before jumping to conclusions the first time....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, There is quite a bit involved in taking the carbs off. I just did this a few weeks ago on my exciter. You might be able to get away with taking off the handle bars off, the fairing and the bolts for the dash. possibly the seat. you dont have to take the dash completely off, but it needs to be free to move.There are approximitly 20 nuts and screws to take off. The hardest part i found was getting the speedo cable back on. Its not hard its just time consuming. NOTE. When i put the air box back on I left the top half off untill I got the boots back on the carbs. You wont be able to get the screw in rear back in but there are enough to hold it together for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i didnt read the long post above other posts, but

start, remove the boost bottle(if needed), fuel lines, chokes, slides or throttle cable depending on the carb, loosen of the hose clamp conecting the carbs to the air box, and to boots. take off the intake tube like somone else said. undew the screwes holding in the air box, turn the steering all the way to the right, there should be a plastic pop off cover, remove and take out screws, if single minuki slide, take carbs out one at a time right now, if micuni buterflys that are bolted together, take them out of the boots, and PUSH THEM DOWN as far as possible and rotate air box oput, that plastic you mentioned will bend farther than you could ever imagine, pull the box out then get the carbs out.

Good Luck

it will be really hard, it took me over an hour the first time, now i could have the motor sittin on a bench and the carbs cleaned in half the time. weather bein that good at takin out the motor is a good thing or not

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it's like the Phazers, you can remove the little access panel (~1"X2") left of the handlebars on the tank cover and unbolt the airbox and remove it completely after loosening the carb boot clamps. I've found this to be the easiest way to get to the carbs. You shouldn't have to remove much more than that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
On my '87 phazer you have to pull the carbs before you can pull the air box. I've pulled and replaced the carbs many times without unbolting the air box. It is not easy. A lot of pushing, pulling, prying and swearing! If you pull the belt and the secondary, The air box will then come out the side.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's going to be tight , but it can be done . You got a little panel ya take that off then take the 2 bolts out , Next take the secondary clutch off , now take the intake tube off the air box and take the clamps off for the carbs. Now this is the tight part wiggle the box around steering post . or just push the box back and you can get the carbs out . Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I was just reading your post a friend of mine got a couple of 93 Exciter twos and asked me to get them running. Anyway I found if you disconnect everything hoses and cables from the carb and loosen the hose clamp you can push the car back into the air box so that it clears the intake manifold. Then loosen one of the 10 mm nut that holds the rubber intake manifold to the engine and remove the other one then you can push the manifold down. With the intake manifold dangling buy one screw you now have enough room to pull the carb out. It turns it into a 5 minute job

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.