Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little stumped. I bought an 88 Inviter last year. Exc cond, great deal, just for the kids to tool around the cottage on and as a just in case sled. It ran fantastic. Out of the blue, it quits. The strange part is that I have fuel (pull fuel line off and pull, fuel pumps out) but the spark, different story. If the plug is grounded to the head, there is no spark. If I put the plug a 1/2in away from head and pull, sparks like crazy. It makes no sense to me. Is there a module some place that would cause that? I'm at a loss. Any ideas?. Thanks in adavance, Joe

·
Registered
496 Posts
Did you try new caps on the wire ? Is there anycuts in the wire or wear marks ?

Were did you find that sled Ive seen one at a swap meet and sat on it , it was a laid back ride like you could almost sleep on it. Is this what it looks like ?

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats exactly what it looks like, except blue. I found it at a garage sale around Hale, MI. Definately very comfy, perfect for the kids. Only goes about 35-40. I didn't notice any wear or cracks on the wire. I'll look into that option and let ya know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Check the throttle safety switch. They are susceptible to moisture entry and interment ignition cut outs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did think of the throttle safety switch. The manual gives a way to bypass it. I did that, still nothing. If it was an intermittant cutoff, wouldn't it do it intermittantly when grounded and not? Now if sparks every time when away from being grounded. As soon as its grounded, it completely stops. I have a new coil on the way (had to order it) and will post results when I change it. I figure thats the cheapest, easiest place to start.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Some guy tried selling me two on Sunday he had the blue and the gold one, Sweet!!!

When it sparks 1/2" away you have a good spark to jump that far so your coil maybe good but it is a good start if its cheap. also you said they only go 30 to 40 mph that sounds to slow . This fix might make it faster.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the coil. Put the new one in, fired up on the second pull............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts