Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi, i am about to purchase an 88 phazer in great shape, the guy wants 1100 american for the sled. is this a good deal? the sled only has 1400 miles on her and has been garaged all her life but she has the typical stress really small cracks throughout the bodywork. beautiful paint tho and decals. what is the horsepower rating for a 485cc phazer and are these good sleds and what to watch out for on these sleds?

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks James O.

·
1,327 Posts
These are excellent sleds, the motors are bulletproof.

The stock hp is around 60 I believe but i could be wrong.

I would get the cold air induction kit, they make a considerable difference.

The best thing about them is the weight.

DP

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thats a good beginner sled and they last a long time but 1100 you could buy something a little newer for 400 more . Something early 90's and bigger say like a exciter or 94 vmax.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Phazers are great older sleds, lightweight, decent enough power for their time. Add a cold air kit like mentioned above and a pipe and they will go pretty good. The carbs can be a pain to clean when they are dirty, and most of the poor running problems with Phazers have to do with dirty carbs. Other than that they are dependable and easy to work on.

The price is just a little bit high, for that price you should be able to get a 1990 or newer Phazer. And with a 1990 or newer Phazer II, you will get a wider ski stance and a few other improvements. The motor and carbs on Phazers are basically the same from 1984 -1999.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
$1100 is too much! If you can get it for $800, go for it. You're likely to put some money into it, anyway (the skid WILL need work, and I suggest getting plastic skis.) I've got an '86 and I laugh every time I hit the throttle. I don't know if I'll ever get over how much snap it has for such a little sled. Fun!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Great little sled it is! If you want a ride which will keep you on the edge of the seat that will! You may want to check out the carbs and make sure they haven't been tweaked-it could mean some problems if they don't know what they were doing!

·
Registered
517 Posts
i just bought a 1990 Phazer II for 1000, so i think the price on the 88 is a little high. if you could get it for less i would go for it, its a great sled, and it has a lot of power, and the best part is its light. i got stuck several times and its easy to get out, even with one person. the only thing i would advise, check the front end for slop. the bushings might be wore and that will lead to sloppy stearing, (which resulted in getting stuck). if it is sloppy you will have to replace the bushings in the front end, which is not hard but takes a little time, (if you make them yourself) good luck!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by Bigmac@Jan 9 2003, 12:34 PM
Come on over to Canada Windsor .... I have a 85 Phazer 1000 bucks Canadian That's like 580 bucks USA .
Now that's a good price!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts