Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am brand new to this forum and think it is a great place to come for some good reading, help, and to help others. First I'll tell you about my sled. I purchased it about 3 years ago form a neighbor for $250. I cleaned the carbs and it fired right up and worked well. I have been using it for the 3 seasonns without much trouble. Only thing is it idles very rich, like burn your eyes rich. My wife says I smell like gas when I come in the house after a day of riding. I think this used to be a race sled becuase of all the modifications. First , it has an Aaen pipe, boyseen reeds, wiseco pistons, studded track and porting. This thing really rips, I can beat some biggers sleds in a moderate length drag race, but like I said I cant seem to get rid of the rich idle condition. It never bogs, stalls, or hesitates. It has 147.5 main jets, stock 95 pilot jets and the idle adjustment screws are about 1 turn out. I have bench tested the needle and seats with a bottle and hose, and no leakage, I have the chokes adjusted with some play in the cable to be sure they are seated. Floats are adjusted to about .50 inch height. I even submerged the floats in gas overnight to see it they would fill up and not function properly. I had the reeds out for inspection and flipped them around so they are flat again on the reed cage. At this point I am at a loss for ideas to try. One thing I am not certain about is the oil cable adjustment. I have it set so that there is slight play at idle and come on after the throttle is pressed. So no oil at idle, is this correct? I also checked the gas tank vent line to see if that was blocked, it is good. At this point I think just the character of the modified engine may be causing the problem. I dont know how extensive the engine mods are, maybe it was improperly ported , and I do notice the engine is not as smooth as a stock one, maybe some crank mods were done. Right now and help on this issue would be appreciated no idea is stupid and I am experience with this mechanical stuff, so nothing would be out of my league either. Fire away, and I am looking forward to this forum and also helping out where I can.

thanks, Mike

·
Registered
496 Posts
It dosent bog or foul but its runs rich ? You could try to go down acouple main jet sizes and check you piston wash and see how it runs . Yeah the pipe does change your carb settings so you may have to play around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive done the jetting , on top end runs the plug color is good, it is brownish color. Ive also sdone 1/4 to 1/2 throttle runs to check the pilot jet and get the same color, this leads me to believe the jetting is goos. It only idles rich, in fact, Idle is so rich I usually dont need to choke it when cold starting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
you sure choke isnt freezing on or sticking? with that many mods getting more air in it may drive decently and not idle good i dunno
funny i would think you would need jets changed they soumd stock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pilot jets are stock at #95, and mains are 1 above stock at 147.5. Another weird thing is that the idle mixture screws dont seem to do much when adjusted., although it will stall when turned all the way in. I inspected the needles and they look OK. I dont know either, extra gas has to be getting in there somehow. I did notice that when I pull the carbs off, the fuel lines leak gas until I plug them. Shouldn't it stop once the gas in the line has drained? Maybe I need a fuel pump?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts