Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think would be better to buy for my Indy 500, SLP twin pipes or Polaris plastic skis?  Thanks for any advice.
                                     Jeff

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think on that sled I would do the ski's and instead of the pipes I would mess around with the clutching. I think you could find sme perfomance that way alot cheaper than the pipes. Just my o2.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Look nin classifieds for factory plastic skis. They are cheap usually and will work fine, way better than the steal stockers. Play with the clutch also. And if you haven't rebuilt your shocks do so if they are rebuildable or look at spending money there. What a difference in ride. The 500 is a good sled.
caleb

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I had a 92 500 indy and it took a bad beating and kept running, the only trouble i had was the slide rails were breaking all the time, and the last time i launched it off a kicker i broke the A frame but i pounded it really hard. Plastic skiis would be great on that sled because those old steel ones suck, i would stay away from the pipes and just clutch it a bit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My brother bought an EPI clutch kit and WOW what a difference it made. Much faster then stock. We also had the cut trimmed up by a local tuner(Art Miller of Advance Racing in shields MI) That also helped even more.
josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
skis, skis, skis!
pipes did nothing for the 500.
if you can hook onto a 96 or newer 500,
or a 92-94 xcr pipe,  you will gain some
horsepower.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you're handy with a set of wrenches, the first dollar I spent on that sled would be for a used Xtra-10 suspension! Now you've got something worth spending some more money on...

AL

·
Registered
179 Posts
:devil: Hello there i was once in the same stait as you i own a 1992 Indy 500 i called every one asking about pipes porting ect all the performance shops told me the same thing first porting will not boost the horsepower by alot but will make the snowmobile easyer to tune in the line of jetting if done right. The twin pipes for the 500 indys were said to greatly reduce the engines reliability but a singal pipe was a very good inprovement most of the performance shops how made them said that you could suspect 5 to 8 horsepower if the engine was tuned correctly but saidly most of them stopped making them all except aaen performance. I installed a set of uni skis what a diffrence in handleing i also dropped the springs in to the last hole in the front brakets for a lower profile. Clutching makes such a diffrence in the indys hell it makes a huge diffrence in every sled I sugest installing a polaris lite blue primary spring 120/300 don't change the 49.5 weights change the secondary spring to a slp black/blue 30/65 change the strait 36 helix to a 40/36 and if she can pull it a 42/34 then frige around with your gearing i like doing a little bit of freindly drag raceing and agresive trail riding so my clutch set up is for 0 to 660 and for good exceleration out of the corners but if you put a gearing setup like 21/39 or even 23/39 you'd be good for 97 to 100 mpher i Hope this helps you have a great winter ps if you can buy a set of heel clickers therew the best clutch kit for the polaris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts