Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1990 Yamaha Phazer. The other day it wouldnt start. i got it to start by putting gas in the spark plug hole, however, it idles at 5000rpms. does anyone know what the problem could be cause i really dont want to take apart the carbs if it something else. also, it has picks in the track that are bent. they are not perpendicular to the track anymore. should i take them out before they tear or will they not get any worse? any info would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
When I pulled apart my '86 Phazer this summer and put it back together, it idled at about 4000 or so when I started it. It didn't make any sense because I didn't change anything involved, but I solved it by lowering the adjusting screw on the carb end of the throttle cable. Before you do this, tho, make sure the cable is seated properly in the throttle lever and in the adjusting screw at the carb.
As for the studs, it sounds like there's not enough of them (or the track is shot). Either pull the studs out or add more so there's less stress on each individually.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i could try that but why would it all of a sudden rev so high? i had it running this year several times and it ran great. is there anything else that would cause it to do this? as for the picks i should just take them out? should i do anything with the holes left? thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way, i did absolutely nothing to the any part of the sled, never touched the carbs or anything. thanks again

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i fixed the problem by adjusting the throttle cable at the carb. does anyone know how this could have happened? im just curious cause it acts like the cable somehow shrunk. thanks

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by whanker57@Dec 2 2002, 04:21 PM
well i fixed the problem by adjusting the throttle cable at the carb. does anyone know how this could have happened? im just curious cause it acts like the cable somehow shrunk. thanks
Yup, that's exactly what I thought about mine. Blows my mind, but it's fine now, so I'm just ignoring it.

as for the picks i should just take them out? should i do anything with the holes left
I've never heard of anyone doing anything with the holes after pulling studs.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by performancex@Dec 3 2002, 09:42 AM
I've never heard of anyone doing anything with the holes after pulling studs.
It's a good idea to melt the hole again to seal in the cords so they don't start ripping.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies im just gonna leave it and see if theres any other problems. as for the picks ill prolly leave em for awile and see what happens, if they get worse ill take them out. (im not sure about the air leak, could you explain what that would do?) thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts