Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 yamaha phazer 2 st. im having a problem getting the left cylinder to turn over. it has spark, good compression and fuel. when i start the sled only the right cylinder runs and the left one won't start. it was doing it mildly at the end of last year but after a few hundred feet it would start. now ive had to take up to thirty minutes to get it started. i have found that if i run the right cylinder for a few miles i can take the hot plug out and transfer it to the left cylinder and start it. when i do this it idles rough and sometimes bogs out. but if i keep it running on the left cylinder and then plug in the right it will run great and idle great afer i run the two for a few miles. its really starting to #### me off! its a great sled with about 5k miles but i don't know whats wrong... sometimes the plug on the left looks like its been covered in oil when i pull it out after its been ran, and the right one looks normal. maybe its really rich and sometimes the left side fouls plugs... but i really don't know. any ideas? tips? answers? Thanks- Eazy[attachment=41134:phazer_21.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have cleaned the carbs just a month ago, before i ran it in the snow. and i ordered new wires and (caps) which is what i believe you were saying but they were a little different and required a hole to be punctured in the side of the wire, so i did and they were no different but i havnt tryed them sence ive been riding it. il give the caps another try ( the guy at the dealership said the caps have a restister in them that can blow, but i never thought it could happen, because it runs after a while just not in the beggining soo...) but i do believe the carbs are fine... thanks for your help. more feedback and ideas until i figure this out, would be great! - eazy

·
Registered
106 Posts
did you replace the coil or just the plug caps?
my plug wires looked fine but when itouched them i got a big shock...so moisture was gettin in and wasnt puttin out a good spark
choke could be stuck on that carb
its always the fan side that goes on me i dont know why
probly ten plugs last year in that side and none on clutch side

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your right! i just checked this forum at 5:30, and last night i saw that my choke had been stuck wide open on both sides!!! which was not only robbing me of gas but was drenching the plugs and causing then to foul. i closed the choke but if i open it it still gets stuck... so im just going to leave it closed from now on. i have started it several times and now it runs great and starts first pull! but when i was tightening the choke lines back on the carbs i believe it was a mixture of being in the teens (degrees) and getting it to tight and i broke the threads off in the carb! oops... so now the choke cable is stuck inside the carb but thats ok cause im not gonna use it anyway. so i jary rigged a couple zip ties and some gasket selant around the base to keep it flush to the top and let it harden up. now it looks kinda ugly but didnt affect how it ran. so overall i put the new caps on and fixed the choke and it runs great! thanks to all for the help!!! what you were saying about getting shocked i sometimes get a shock on the fan side wire and now i dare not tuch it. but it runs great so im not really worried about it, i suppose its the coil but if it runs fine then so what.

·
Registered
106 Posts
the bad wire may get ya on a mild or just eventually get worse
my choke cable was cracked and would get moisture and freeze and where it would be fine somtimes and not spin the track other times made it hard to diagnose
funny thing....last nite my first real ride this year...i came home shut er down for a few hours and came back oyout to move it and it was not able to turn track looked down and choke switch was floppy..... now im about to go look at it dont know wat i will find...but i want that choke out of there!!but mine will not start without it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine as well. after i decided not to use the choke it will not start... i have to put a spray of starting fluid where the conecting bottle is between the carbs and the cylinders. i just take the screw and the two calmps off and give a spray and it starts right up. but it stalls out sometimes if i let it sit withought running it for a few seconds and then it won't start again without more starting fluid... kinda anoying but after i get it started and wormed up it will start back up just fine, but i cant let it sit more than thirty minutes or i have to do it all over again. those choke cables are garenteed crap! let me know if you figure out something to do... maybe i could adjust the idle screw mixture on the carbs and that could possibly help it get started... il try it later. let you know what happens. and i thnk it has something toi so do with the choke but when i give it wide open throttle it takes it a second or two to fully respond... didnt use to, but it still runs pretty good when its warmed up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine as well. after i decided not to use the choke it will not start... i have to put a spray of starting fluid where the conecting bottle is between the carbs and the cylinders. i just take the screw and the two calmps off and give a spray and it starts right up. but it stalls out sometimes if i let it sit withought running it for a few seconds and then it won't start again without more starting fluid... kinda anoying but after i get it started and wormed up it will start back up just fine, but i cant let it sit more than thirty minutes or i have to do it all over again. those choke cables are garenteed crap! let me know if you figure out something to do... maybe i could adjust the idle screw mixture on the carbs and that could possibly help it get started... il try it later. let you know what happens. and i thnk it has something toi so do with the choke but when i give it wide open throttle it takes it a second or two to fully respond... didnt use to, but it still runs pretty good when its warmed up.[/b]
yeah im basically wanting primer or somthing cuz that choke is just going to keep screwin me...dont know how to do it but i know its simple

sounds like the air screw for that bog but if that dont fix it could be the choke plunger not sealing all the way on one of the carbs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts