Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am having trouble keeping my machine running, I bought it this year from a buddy of mine. I replaced a few things on it including the throttle cable. It never ran prior to my tinkering and its only running if I pump the primer every once and awhile (30seconds) I am guessing it is a fuel supply issue but I do not have a manual so I have no idea where to start.....

Any suggestions?

And its at 700+ ft elevation

idles at 2500rpm

white smoke from exhaust

Its got me scratching my melon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Guys,
I am having trouble keeping my machine running, I bought it this year from a buddy of mine. I replaced a few things on it including the throttle cable. It never ran prior to my tinkering and its only running if I pump the primer every once and awhile (30seconds) I am guessing it is a fuel supply issue but I do not have a manual so I have no idea where to start.....
Any suggestions?
And its at 700+ ft elevation
idles at 2500rpm
white smoke from exhaust
Its got me scratching my melon[/b]
try the fuel pump.the rebuild kits are cheap.are the carbs clean,not containing green death(sludge)also check the vacuum hose from bottom of crank case sometimes they crack thus fuel pump wont work. : :confused:

·
Registered
745 Posts
and someone please correct me if im wrong here but White smoke ushally means its burning Anti-freeze as well. Does the smoke smell somewhat sweeter than noraml 2-stroke smoke

·
Registered
97 Posts
agreed! White smoke is a touchy subject.... if the smoke evaporates as it floats away then it's coolant. If not and it floats all the way over to your neighbors and smokes his cranky wife out of the house to yell at you.. :cussing: .. then yeah it's pretty normal.... for me anyways :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistling:

sounds like a nasty signal hose to me too. Even the one on my 98 is looking pretty shabby already. I thought rubber is supposed to last longer than 10 years.... :huh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agreed! White smoke is a touchy subject.... if the smoke evaporates as it floats away then it's coolant. If not and it floats all the way over to your neighbors and smokes his cranky wife out of the house to yell at you.. :cussing: .. then yeah it's pretty normal.... for me anyways :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistling:

sounds like a nasty signal hose to me too. Even the one on my 98 is looking pretty shabby already. I thought rubber is supposed to last longer than 10 years.... :huh:[/b]

I checked it out again and its normal greyish in colour it just looked white with the snow behind it :p

But I am still stuck on this dieing out on me

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's more than likely not filling the float bowl with fuel, it could have a stuck needle and seat, which would definently make it run as you describe. Pull the float bowls off and clean out the jets and needle and seats with carb. cleaner. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more than likely not filling the float bowl with fuel, it could have a stuck needle and seat, which would definently make it run as you describe. Pull the float bowls off and clean out the jets and needle and seats with carb. cleaner. Good luck[/b]

Hmmm,

I will check it again- I will buy the manual as the library no longer has it.... SOB!! lol

Last time when I was in their I replaced the throttle cable, I had to take apart some sort of weird cylinder thing which had a needle in their and a spring and was pretty tricky to put together... But it looked very clean inside and I re-cleaned all the parts i took out. But I havent actually played with the carb yet..... Its probably a jet, this will be good practice before I install a FCR carb on my dirtbike.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The parts you had taken apart for the throttle cable was the throttle slide and the return spring for the slide, the needle that you mentioned is the jet needle. The float bowl is on the bottom of the carb. and held on with 4 screws. You need to remove the carbs and remove the 4 screws holding on the floatbowl. Once inside you will see the jets and a little metal lever. It is this lever that drops down, allowing the little needle and seat to drop, which allows the float bowl to fill with gas. This liitle needle and seat is the part that usually sticks closed and needs to be cleaned or replaced, also clean the 2 jets while your in there. Good luck, and I'm sure you can get better instruction on this just with a little searching.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The parts you had taken apart for the throttle cable was the throttle slide and the return spring for the slide, the needle that you mentioned is the jet needle. The float bowl is on the bottom of the carb. and held on with 4 screws. You need to remove the carbs and remove the 4 screws holding on the floatbowl. Once inside you will see the jets and a little metal lever. It is this lever that drops down, allowing the little needle and seat to drop, which allows the float bowl to fill with gas. This liitle needle and seat is the part that usually sticks closed and needs to be cleaned or replaced, also clean the 2 jets while your in there. Good luck, and I'm sure you can get better instruction on this just with a little searching.[/b]

Oh ok I understand

I have about 15 liters of fuel in the tank now.... If I take apart the carb, will fuel poor out? On my bike there is a shut off valve and last time I looked I could not see one on the sled..... But I am starting to remember some sort of weird handle for fuel... LOL never mind, I will check this out tomorrow and let you guys know. My dad is going to give me a hand with the track, i have never changed one.......

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh ok I understand
I have about 15 liters of fuel in the tank now.... If I take apart the carb, will fuel poor out? On my bike there is a shut off valve and last time I looked I could not see one on the sled..... But I am starting to remember some sort of weird handle for fuel... LOL never mind, I will check this out tomorrow and let you guys know. My dad is going to give me a hand with the track, i have never changed one.......[/b]
The fuel shut off should be under the hood above the foot rest on the right side. There should be two little levers that are red over there and yes there will be a minor spillage of gas when taking the carbs off. Oh yeah, don't mix up the two carbs from side to side. Mark them clutch and starter side as they are jetted differently for each cylinder. Good luck, I usually just take the sled to a Ski-doo mech that runs his own shop now, it's about $80 - $100 here to have it done depending on where you go. Like my buddy says, It's cheap insurance to prevent blowing it up or being stranded somewhere!!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys,

I found the problem it was a vacuum hose that had broken off at the bottom of the motor. I replaced it and the motor ran 10 times better, doesn't smoke as bad as it did and it runs alot stronger infact it sounds like a highpowered dirt bike.... I was going to replace the track until I realized I would have to take apart just about everything... Anyone have a Idea on what it would cost to have a dealer replace it?

I is still dieing at idle but not as quick.. I also noticed that their was air in the fuel lines and since the vacuum hose was replaced the lines has less air, infact the one line has no air at all and the other is getting better. So that probably why its dieing at idle, I also put carb cleaner into the fuel so maybe it will do that magic in the carb... So I am very happy with that, but I also have some more news....

It has electric start, yep!!! I finally saw the starter motor under the clutch assembly. No idea if it works but would like to know. Would my 12volt battery of my dirtbike work??? :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
ha ha, yea i am hopin the carb cleaner will do the trick with my carbs, i'm mixin carb cleaner/octane booster to blow the #### out of the carbs...... i really want to clean the carbs but its a ##### and a half to get at...... and i don't want to really pay 158 bucks for the dealer to clean them up....... 150 dollar sled... 158 dollars to clean two carbs... i th ink i'll try and tackle this beast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I found the problem it was a vacuum hose that had broken off at the bottom of the motor. I replaced it and the motor ran 10 times better, doesn't smoke as bad as it did and it runs alot stronger infact it sounds like a highpowered dirt bike.... I was going to replace the track until I realized I would have to take apart just about everything... Anyone have a Idea on what it would cost to have a dealer replace it?
I is still dieing at idle but not as quick.. I also noticed that their was air in the fuel lines and since the vacuum hose was replaced the lines has less air, infact the one line has no air at all and the other is getting better. So that probably why its dieing at idle, I also put carb cleaner into the fuel so maybe it will do that magic in the carb... So I am very happy with that, but I also have some more news....
It has electric start, yep!!! I finally saw the starter motor under the clutch assembly. No idea if it works but would like to know. Would my 12volt battery of my dirtbike work??? :D[/b]
im glad you found the problem and my theory was correct.take the carbs off and inspect them anyways.if they are dirty it could lean out and wreck your motor,trust me sleds are money pits as they are.take one off at a time remove float bowl take every thing apart put all pieces in bowl and soak them with a product from your local merc dealer i think its called engine tune the jets and tube will be like new unless anyone has another product.the skidoo dealer near me uses that stuff works awsome takes a little while but works.happy cleaning
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts