Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1993 Skandic with a 377 engine . Ever since we purchased it used it has had a problem . When your sitting stopped and idling for more than 2 -3 minutes and then try to excelerate slowly after pushing the trottle about a 1/4 inch it floods and stalls and has to have the throttle held wide open to clear.
( If you stop briefly and get moving again its fine).
(If you feather the throttle at a stop by keeping the RPM up slightly, its OK ).

ALL the jetting is stock

We have tried a few things to fix this nothing works. We have the main needle set with the ( E - clip) to be at the leanist setting and have replaced this assembly on both carbs. Nothing works. The sled starts and drives fine except for this , It has been frustrating because this is my younger daughter's sled and we have to be extra carefull when crossing the roads if she has to stop for to long . I tried to see if the dealer wanted to take on this, but the sleds so old you could tell he didn't want to be bothered. And the last time we had it there for a tune up it wasn't any better they just put a belt on and sent it on its way.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas into this problem

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

ED

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a 1993 Skandic with a 377 engine . Ever since we purchased it used it has had a problem . When your sitting stopped and idling for more than 2 -3 minutes and then try to excelerate slowly after pushing the trottle about a 1/4 inch it floods and stalls and has to have the throttle held wide open to clear.
( If you stop briefly and get moving again its fine).
(If you feather the throttle at a stop by keeping the RPM up slightly, its OK ).

ALL the jetting is stock

We have tried a few things to fix this nothing works. We have the main needle set with the ( E - clip) to be at the leanist setting and have replaced this assembly on both carbs. Nothing works. The sled starts and drives fine except for this , It has been frustrating because this is my younger daughter's sled and we have to be extra carefull when crossing the roads if she has to stop for to long . I tried to see if the dealer wanted to take on this, but the sleds so old you could tell he didn't want to be bothered. And the last time we had it there for a tune up it wasn't any better they just put a belt on and sent it on its way.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas into this problem

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

ED[/b]
I dont know much about snowmobile carbs, especially in older sleds but know decent amount of knowledge in carbs in general, so let me try to take a wack at this...
First, im guessing this is a slide carb?
Your problem sounds like your not getting enough air from your air cleaner.. = making everything rich.
Try smaller pilot jet...But something does not sound right..Do you have the needle clip all the way up or down? Im guessing up? Bring it back more towards the middle and try adjusting idle and mixture screw. I would tinker with the low speed items first. Possibly clogged pilot jet.. You can also get larger cutaway on your slide to make leaner mixture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know much about snowmobile carbs, especially in older sleds but know decent amount of knowledge in carbs in general, so let me try to take a wack at this...
First, im guessing this is a slide carb?
Your problem sounds like your not getting enough air from your air cleaner.. = making everything rich.
Try smaller pilot jet...But something does not sound right..Do you have the needle clip all the way up or down? Im guessing up? Bring it back more towards the middle and try adjusting idle and mixture screw. I would tinker with the low speed items first. Possibly clogged pilot jet.. You can also get larger cutaway on your slide to make leaner mixture.[/b]

Yellowrider you are correct the needle clip is all the way up to the lean position and the air cleaner is clear. I have not tried adjusting the air screw, If thats what you are refering to mixture setting its at the stock 1 1/8 turns . Its a mikuni slide carb.

ED

1 - 3 of 3 Posts