Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to gather some information on this sled. I have a guy who wants to trade me this sled for a boat I am selling. So please let me know the good and bad, also can this engine be upgraded to electric start? Here are some pictures of the sled.

Also what track/suspension system does this have? Rear & Front? Can it be improved or is it not cost effective?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
great engine,good on gas

flat cornering sled

HEAVY when stuck

yes you can get electric start

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It's kind of a "portly" sled compared to newer 'doos. The F chassis that replaced it was around 40 pounds lighter. Not much can be done to the front suspension. I don't know if the rear suspension can be swapped out for a newer skidframe or not.

IMO, w/ the sleds that are out there on the used market, I'd pass on the deal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its a 2 up seat! I grew up on one of those and ya being able to have a passenger ride along with you in comfort sounds like a great idea but IMO its not!!! Consider how often another person actually would ride with you then subtract 90% of that and you have the actual trips someone with ride along. I hated riding with someone on the sled with me, maybe cause I'm not 250lbs myself, but it throws the weight transfer around, especially when your passenger is always changing what side they are leaning to so that they can see around your helmet. Also, when you go riding with freinds you'll always get volunteered to take that tag along that doenst have a sled.....there goes hitting drifts and doing most of the fun stuff everyone else will be doing on the ride. I would never own a 2 up, pass it by IMO!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
just stick a single seat on it

·
Registered
283 Posts
Those PRS sleds are a little weird looking these days, I think you would be much better served by a 95-96 Grand Touring SE with the same engine and much better F2000 chassis or even a 98+ Grand Touring 583 in the S2000 chassis for $3k-ish if you were willing to compromise just a little bit on the engine power.

If you're looking for info on the Mach 1 XTC, my opinion is the following:
(1) Goofy looking
(2) Simply OWNS trails, great handling for trail speeds
(3) Rear C-7 suspension is not very good. AD Boivin used to make an ETS long-travel kit for the rear end which vastly improved the rear end, but those are very hard to find now.
(4) Heavy
(5) Great engine.

Value? Certainly not more than $1500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well see you set the value at $1500 which is what I was asking for my boat. The whole reason why this deal is so nice is because there is no money out of pocket. Straight up trade. And if I enjoy myself this winter then next fall I'll start lookin for a newer sled. But this way I am not out any money and I can foind out if I enjoy it or not.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Have you had other offers for the boat? Pesonally I'd pass on the sled. If you don't like the sled, then you're stuck trying to get rid of a 15 year old sled.

They aren't the best riding sleds if you get into rough trails. The front shock strokes are short & they heat up & fade. Bottoming out pretty easily.

I know I've been there. I had a 90 Mach 1, more or less the same sled.

·
Registered
443 Posts
are you on dootalk? think i saw a post on this sled there.
well anyway that sled would probably only go for about 1000 here in canada so thats even less where your at.
its a nice sled to fart around on and take it to some drags, but when it comes to actually riding it, it wont be that great. Almost got a sled like that myself, but thank God i got my zx.
i would try to get a s-2000, they're not all that much, if you sell your boat it would probably only cost you a few more hundred.
can you put up a picture of the boat? maybe its not even worth the trade? :unsure:

but all together it comes down to what you think and feel.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
$1000 come on now look at the sled

$1500 is a reasonnable price

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never really got any good bites on my boat. Got the normal low ballers and sent them packing.

115 HP Merc outboard. Would trim out at 45MPH. Used the boat 3 times last years & 1 time this summer. So even if I only ride the sled twice I will have gotten more use out of it than my boat. And yes I realize it isn't a new sled but it gets me started and I'll see if I enjoy snowmobiling again. My biggest worries are my leg not liking the cold and that causing other issues.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If it was me. I'd hold on to boat. If I was selling something & a prospective buyer offered me that sled I'd send hin down the road. Yes, the sled is in good shape, but those sleds aren't very desirable these days.

If you are going to go trail riding the sled will be OK. But & this is a big but. They aren't intended for powder riding. The 1st time you get it stuck, you'll wish you didn't have it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Highpoints:

670 Rotary Valve (Greatest Doo engine IMO)
Bulletproof Everything
Goes like a bat outta hell

Bads:
Heavy
The suspension is marginal at best
ALL STEEL everything (bulkheads, suspension, etc...) so everything rusts
It is the age where finding parts will be problematic (not so much the engine, but chassis stuff)

The PRS chassis was not the biggest hit of the snowmobile market, and fininding stuff (shocks, skis, suspension parts) is going to be tough.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess if you want the sled more than the boat, go ahead and make the trade.

I have owned several PRS chassis sleds and they handle fine, and are great on gas. I little rough riding in the rear, but same as most sleds of those years. Don't worry about getting parts; you can buy them on eBay for next to nothing...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
If you are going to go trail riding the sled will be OK. But & this is a big but. They aren't intended for powder riding. The 1st time you get it stuck, you'll wish you didn't have it.[/b]
I only partially agree with that statement

The PRS is 10times better off trail in deep snow vs the F2000 chassis

BUt if you get stuck good luck :p

the rear is not the same as the 90 Mach(Monocrap) btw its the same as the 92-96 C7

·
Registered
361 Posts
The nada is $1220 so if thats what you will take for your boat go with it and if you like snowmobileing then look for somthing newer next year what is the miles on that sled?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own an almost identical sled. I have just the standard Mach 1, not the XTC. However, I did convert mine to a 2 up. Sure, like stated before, its not always as fun riding with a passenger, but its up to you whos on your sled, heh. Also, the seat, is rather plush, with i found amazing for the long trips, and the back rest didnt hurt either. As for gas milage, it is pretty good, but it is also a 670cc engine, so dont expect anything spectacular. The 670 engine is a tank, and will last forever as long as you maintain it... and avoid really cheap oils. The only large downsides i found to the mach, it is deffinatly a heavy machine, and its not the greatest in the powder snow. But, i think thats due to the fact that my sleds tracks a bit old, and my lugs are only about half an inch, lol. Buddy of mine had the 91, and it had no issues with slush. Maybe where im from the people are just idiots, but i can easily get 2500 for my mach, and its not in as good of shape as the one your looking at. Someone also said that because its an all steel fram, it can rust... well, if you keep the frame painted, how can it rust? Front suspension is just a starndard hydraulic shock, but you can get better ones for it. The rear i believe is the c-7. Its not too smooth for bumps, but because your so low to the snow, you can take sharp corners like your riding on rails. It can be upgraded... a popular swap is to make it sc-10 suspended. Gives you a much more plush ride. Something i havent done, but its up to you. Also, parts are not too hard to come by. I live in the middle of butt f#@! no where, and i manage to keep my sled on the trails no prob.

so in short

Good:

Reliable Sled
Decent Gas Milage
Fast

Bad:

Weight
Age of sled
Not great in powder
Not too great in slush (could be cause of my track)
Slightly Below Average Suspension (comes with the age of the sled)

Any other questions, id do my best to answer, hit me back up if need be!

Nutzo

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't care what anyone says but the '91-'94 Mach's were great, and still are. I think they look better than most of today's sleds. The 670 is a great mill! With a suspension upgrade in the rear you've got one great sled, and all at a fraction of the cost of new. Sure they're heavy, but at least the frame won't get tweeked by a little tap. Newer does not always mean better!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tweeked by a little tap? Try a huge one! lol. I took out a 5 inch diameter birch tree when i got ran off a back road ~mutters~ cars not suppose to be there in winter, the sign states such!... anyways. long story short... it was either take the ditch doing about 90kmh (about 55mph) or have a head on with a large honda accord. sled jumped the bank, i almost had it recovered, but stuff happens, i bailed on top of that bank, while my sled went into the brush. The only thing that really happend, was that i snapped a tie rod end, and broke a trailing arm bolt. The sled took out numerous small trees, and one decent size birch. I was sure i was gonna have to scrap my sled once i seen all the mess, but once i got close to it, set it back right side up (it was wedged sideways between 2 other trees) it actually started right back up! I had to call a buddy with a pickup (i didnt have mine at the time) but we got it back to my place, tore it apart to look at the damage, welded the tie rod back together, and i was on the trials in no time!

Had it been a newer machine, i doubt it woulda survived in half as nice condition. So i really believe "newer isnt always better"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't care what anyone says but the '91-'94 Mach's were great, and still are. I think they look better than most of today's sleds. The 670 is a great mill! With a suspension upgrade in the rear you've got one great sled, and all at a fraction of the cost of new. Sure they're heavy, but at least the frame won't get tweeked by a little tap. Newer does not always mean better![/b]
What are we talking when you say mod the rear? SCII/III or?

Also I'll take some pictures today. Got the sled here at my place finally. I don't know the actual miles because the speedo is broken but it isn't many. The track on it is the original and you won't believe it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts