Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I recently purchased a '94 Indy trail touring deluxe 488 f/c and it ran great the first time out, but the second time out ( -5 deg. celc.) it got a bog in the bottom end, idled fine , top end fine but upp till just above half throttle it would loose power and bog down, just put on new plugs, fuel filter, chaincase lube, greased jackshaft/suspension, it seemed to start bogging about 15 mins after installing new plugs.
where do I start?

also does anyone have specs
e.g. recomended plug/ plug gap, jet sizes( any recomendations for changing), clutch engagement info ( no tach), clutch spring info ( upgrade info) belt #, any common problems with this sled would also be appreciated for future referance
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
you need to rejet, im sure its jetted for 10+ and it running lean. take the carb bottoms out, see what you got and buy a size or two sizes larger

·
Registered
593 Posts
you need to rejet, im sure its jetted for 10+ and it running lean. take the carb bottoms out, see what you got and buy a size or two sizes larger[/b]

Was it the same temperature when you took it out both times. I would clean the carbs completely before i started rejetting, especially if it happened at the same temp as when it ran good before. Check air boots for cracks too. After it started bogging did you pull the plugs, where they all wet and fouled?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it the same temperature when you took it out both times. I would clean the carbs completely before i started rejetting, especially if it happened at the same temp as when it ran good before. Check air boots for cracks too. After it started bogging did you pull the plugs, where they all wet and fouled?[/b]

it was slightly different temps ( about 5 deg. colder)
the plugs are not fouled, I even tried different plugs, same problem, ran it tody ( - 5-10 deg) runs great for the first 15 mins but then after that bogs down when you stop and then try to go again
checked the carb boots, they are good

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just sold a 93 Indy Trail 488 fan-cooled. I had the same problem. There were BR9ES plugs in it when I got it. I later found in the manual that it calls for BR8ES (Not sure of the gap size). I cleaned the carbs & put the right plugs in. Then I had some bogging problems after start-up. I tried to let it idle for several minutes but it still bogged. After riding it for a few minutes it would run excellent idle perfect & be fine for the rest of the day & start with a half pull. Definately a cold-blooded machine for me. I just picked up a 98 XC 600 & it is also a little cold-blooded but after warmed up it purrs like a kitten. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
that funny lol.i had the exact same problem with the br9es plugs in both our indys.we cahnged to the br8es and have not had that problem since.you also might want to check the amount of spark you have.if your box is getting weak it may not be giving enough spark.i more thing i would check for mouse houses.if the person had the sled stored outdoors or in a barn i have heard mice will climb into the exaust or air box.this may be causing a block somewhere that might cause a problem with air flow.but if your not real sure about the carbs i would takeit to a dealer.it is impoertant the carbs are set right if not your sled will run real bad.

·
Registered
593 Posts
that funny lol.i had the exact same problem with the br9es plugs in both our indys.we cahnged to the br8es and have not had that problem since.you also might want to check the amount of spark you have.if your box is getting weak it may not be giving enough spark.i more thing i would check for mouse houses.if the person had the sled stored outdoors or in a barn i have heard mice will climb into the exaust or air box.this may be causing a block somewhere that might cause a problem with air flow.but if your not real sure about the carbs i would takeit to a dealer.it is impoertant the carbs are set right if not your sled will run real bad.[/b]

If you are going to check the spark make sure you check right after it starts bogging, so that if there is a problem you will see it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all of the help, cleaned the carbs ( had a little clog in one of the jets) tried a new cdi pack ( not the problem) it ended up that the guy I bought it from had put a cheap belt wrong and although it was new , it just wasnt the right size ( a lil large) causing it to start in high gear again thanks for all the help

·
Registered
252 Posts
ahhh!!!!! its always the silly things and not so much the technical stuff lol.good thing ya didn't start messing with the carbs :lookaround:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts