Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just bought this 1994 polaris SKS 440 this year and i've taken it out about 5 times. i noticed that the suspension was VERY STIFF. I can stand on the back of it and the suspension will not budge. i have got to jump up and down to make the suspension compress. The guy i bought it from put a new rear shock in it last year. It is a snopro shock so i thought that it would be a little softer than that. the shock is not adjustable or rebuildable i dont think. i am thinking though that the guy that i bought it from put in a shock for a bigger, heavier snowmobile.
If anyone has any solutions to this problem or know wat the problem is please post!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The easiest way I would know of would be to temperaraly disconnect the shock and try to compress the suspension..
if the shock was either bad or the wrong one you should note a big difference in the way the suspension compreses, the shock should only provide damping and not cause the stiffness in the suspension it may be bent or damaged internally...
you may have the wrong springs in the skid (possibly the former owner was heavier than you?)
there should be some adjustment on the spring mounts you may want to try adjusting the blocks down to the least resistance position ..
or you may have to get different springs .

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would take out the rear skid on a used machine like that and go through it to make sure everything is "good." It is much easier to inspect when it isn't in the machine and it will also be more apparent if there are any issues if you are looking at it when it's warm. The shock might be all or part of the problem. There might also be issues due to lack of grease in the various moving pivot points. Also, if anything was put together in an unorthodox manner, that could cause interference which can bind things up (and eventually break something.)

Take it out and inspect it and make sure everything is in good working order and properly assembled before you do anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the info, i forgot to mension that the sled is for my son who only weighs about 130lbs. so i'm guesssing that my problem would be the springs then? Oh and i also forgot to mention that the sled does not have an extra 10 suspension or anything it was just the bare minimum, but i thought that with the snopro shock it would be a lot better. If you have anything else to say please keep posting i want to get this fixed as soon as possible so i can get back out on the snow. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi again,
Well i took the skid partway off and everything was assembled the right way. I took the rear shock out and it is very hard to compress. It takes all or most of my son's bodywieght to compress the shock, but it does compress fully. when i took the rear shock off and sat on the sled, it was much looser and i could bottom it out by bouncing on the seat slighty, so i dont think that it is springs. my theory is that the rear shock is to stiff, maybe it should be greased? that might not be correct though considerind i dont have much experience with working on snowmobiles.
So my question is now, should the rear shock be this stiff? and if it shouldnt be this stiff, how can i fix it? Is a new rear shock the only way?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Do you notice a problem when riding it, or only in the garage?

Grease is not going to do anything for the shock, it's the internal valving that makes a shock stiff. If it turns out to be to stiff for your tastes, you'll have to replace it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i do notice a difference between my suspension and other sleds suspension on the trial. It wasnt brought to my attention that mine was stiff untill i took my buddies for a spin. aslo, other sleds tend to sink slightly when you sit on them i've found, but mine is as hard as a rock. When i pick up the speed on the trail, i really feel the difference when i hit a sharp bump. doesnt have to be a big one, but it sends me about 5 inches off the seat.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am assuming that shock is attached in the correct holes?

The shock does sound suspect to me. I don't know that particular shock but it sounds like an improper application for its design, even if it does otherwise fit size-wise.

Grease is only good for a shock in keeping corrosion of the shaft during summer storage. Otherwise, as was mentioned, it has no value. My grease suggestion wwould only make a difference if basically everything that needs grease has little or none but that doesn't sound like your trouble. The combination of every pivoting part being stiff due to dryness (friction) can be a problem. That is rather extreme however. (Think -30º F to get this effect.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, well i am 75% sure that it is the shock. i do not think that there is anything wrong with it because it compresses all the way and comes back slowly like it should, maybe a little to slow but it works, i think it is just the wrong application for this sled or is totally the wrong kind of shock. I am going to my local parts store tomorow to ask about the shock and see what they say. Yes, the shock is attached to the correct holes so it is stretched as far as it can go and i have just greased
all of the pivoting points.

In the meantime what does everyone think would be the best kind of replacement shock for my sled? Keep in mind that my son is only 130lbs and does all the riding. My budget for the shock is anywhere from $80- $120. Let me know what you think.

With that in mind if anyone has another solution to the problem, has a suggestion or anything else to say please post!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts