Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me have it. Found two that are nice,95 will go for under 1500 I believe and the 99 is so mint i can se it going for 25-3k.
Caleb

·
Registered
64 Posts
They're great! I had a '95 and a '97. Both were realy good sleds with no real major problems. With a little work they are quick, and with a lot of work (aftermarket parts), they are bullets. Pipes, heads, carb work, studs, clutching and air intake mods will realy make it go. You won't have much trouble passing similar sleds, and bigger sleds in these particular years. The only problem with these monoblock triple 600's was that the outer crank bearing on the PTO side would sometimes go out. This was due to the oil lube hole in the crank case being too small, and not being directly pressure fed. There was an update by Polaris that they actually machined the crank case lube canal larger, and opened the oil pump up more to avoid this problem. If you would get an XCR 600 in these years, you will see that the outer bearing (PTO side) has an oil line going to it to feed the bearing (back side of the engine). All in all, I wouldn't be afraid of one, and both of mine when I sold them had over 6000 miles with no problems (both with pipes, heads, etc).

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up getting a mint 97 Ultra SPX for less money. Thanks for the info though.
Caleb

·
Registered
93 Posts
A FRIEND OF MINE HAD 12,000 MILES ON HIS 95 XLT WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, I HAVE 3, 94 XLT'S AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THEM OTHER THAN BOGGY WHEEL BEARINGS GOING BAD BUT EVERYONE HAS THAT PROBLEM SOONER OR LATER. IF YOU MAKE SURE THAT THE OIL PUMP IS ADJUSTED PROPERLY YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE A BURN DOWN, BECAUSE THEY ARE TESTED AT THE FACTORY TO RUN FOR MAY MILES, JUST AS LONG AT EVERYTHING IS PROPERLY ADJUSTED. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Think twice before buying these things. I know 4 people that currently have or have had the xlt motor. 1. PTO side bearing gone before 3,000 miles. 2. PTO side bearing gone before 2,000 miles. 3. Not sure of failure but motor is rebuilt. 4. Still running on original motor with 3,500 miles.

Unless these motors have the 4 stage pump update into the PTO bearing, be careful.

·
Registered
468 Posts
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

·
Registered
299 Posts
My thoughts on the XLT motor is that if it is still running and on the trail, it is one of the good ones and wont burn down the PTO side on ya. Basically these motors have been around long enough now that time has weeded out alot of the bad ones with oil problems that were going to fail, and the ones that are left are going to run forever.. or something like that.... I have an XLT motor with almost 7000 miles on it that is in its 2nd chassis, no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts