Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 zrt 600.  6.4 mile per gallon.  I have droped the main jets to 350.  It calls for 370.  Plugs look good.
Has anyone else had this problem with this year sled.  I thought I should see atleast 10 miles per gallon.   I will take any help.

Thanks
Scratch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe you should check you carbs.  clean them and look at your needles and seats.  By changing your jets you should be getting better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Every cat I have seen has mileage that is similar to that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Every cat I have seen has mileage that is similar to that.[/b][/quote]

come on now Rocketman is that supposed to be a bash?

you cant think that every cat gets right around 6-7 miles a gallon can ya?

there is obviously something wrong with that sled that sled should get at least 10-12 just cruising down the trail

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
No...not a bash. I have experienced a 96 ZRT 600, two 97 ZRT 600s and a 98 ZL 500, all of which only get between 65 and 70 miles to a tank of fuel. I don't know exactly how big or small the fuel tanks are on those sleds, but that is what I have seen.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's hardly fair to say "all" when your experience is so limited even though it may be accurate. You might have specified your limited experience in the beginning. I don't have a lot of experience with Cats, basically only one of them. It, however, seems to contradict the idea of poor fuel mileage in Cats. When it is jetted for -20 F I get 13-14 mph. It is better when I can safely jet it for warmer conditions. My Cat is a 550 Panther so I am neither riding a featherweight nor is the track as light as the shorter ones. Oh, my fuel economy is measured with a sled in tow so I am dragging another 200-300 pounds behind as well. I have driven and been loyal to Polaris for years. This AC beats every Polaris I've owned for fuel economy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Future son in-law has a 97 600 ZRT, and it is getting around 12 mpg. Bone stock, except for stingers, which would not effect the fuel milage.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Easy guys....I didn't say ALL the cats are like that, I said that all the cats I HAVE SEEN have poor fuel mileage. No need to get so defensive. Those same cats are some of the fastest in the group. I guess you have to give to get sometimes. More fuel going in....more HP coming out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, little info,  I am really wondering if anybody out there has a, or has had a 1995 zrt 600.  If so, was this the norm.  As far as the mileage on cats,  the 550 was the best on gas for what you got for hp.  Around 15 to 16 per gallon. American gallon.  It is not uncommond for the 600,700 800 900 and the t cat to get 10 miles or 12 per gal.  I agree that that is not good gas mileage, but you can live with that, with a 11 gallon tank.  So you Ski-doo owners are right, Compared to most ski-doos, they are gas hogs.  But the same can be said about the ski -doo having more motor troubles because of all the tech to get better gas mileage.  To each there own,  I was looking for more of a response on someone havine the same problem with the 1995 zrt.  It was the first year for the zrt.  Cat droped the hp in the following years.  Just wondering if that was because of the 6 to 7 miles per gallon.  Rocket it sounds like you are on track.  The tank holds 11 gallons.  At 6 to 7 per gallon, 65 to 70 miles.  So, maybe there is someone out  there still running a 1995,  Or maybe they could not afford to run the thing. LOLOLOL  Looking forward to more post.

scratch

·
Registered
85 Posts
First of all the gas tank is 10.5 gallons and 6-7 is not normal for any year ZRT 600 trail riding.  I have a '96 in my garage that has 330 jets in it and will safely run down to -30F at 500-1500 feet and it gets 8mpg minimum and averages about 9mpg.  My ZRT800 averages about 10 for trail riding and in perfect conditions either of these sleds could do 2 mpg better.  I have never heard the '95 engines are different than the new ones, so that bears a little more investigation.  I also know of guys running 320's in their 600's with no problems at 500-1500 feet.  They came stock with 370's and every tripple Cat with round slides I have worked on I started at 4 sizes leaner than stock.  Make sure you syncronize the carbs too.  This can have a drastic effect on mileage..........And as for you rocketman, your are a moderator and should know better than make remarks like you did about mileage. And then you try and justify it.
I think we need snow.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Man you guys are unbelivable ! your all acting like a bunch of racist people, as soon as we say something a little bit off about another brand its the end of the world !

Rocketman said : Every cat I have seen has mileage that is similar to that.

He did not say cat is a piece of junk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts