Snowmobile World banner

1995 Polaris Indy 500EFI bogging down after warmup

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DSchneider23 
#1 ·
95 polaris 500 efi - bogs down after warm up. I see others with similar problem. Machine runs fine for 20 min. Then it begins to bog down. Shut it off for 10 sec, something in ECU resets and it runs fine for 10 min, then begins bogging down again. Shut it off for 10 sec, runs fine for 10 min ... and so on. I see threads where others discuss similar problem but don't see a resolution. Any help?
If I need to replace chip, sensor, or ECU, any links to in-stock supplies?
TIA

#2 ·
Fixed

SOLUTION- sprayed contact/electronics cleaner into each of the plugs for the EFI sensors and problem solved!?! (I already had changed the battery and the fuel filter). I tried unplugging the EFI sensors one by one to see if I could identify the faulty sensor. I knew it had to be an EFI issue because of the way the problem would vanish for 10 min if I shut it off. Something was resetting.
When I unplugged the sensor that runs to the bottom of the engine, the plug had both corrosion and ice crystals/water in it. I sprayed it out with cleaner and plugged it back in. For good measure, I cleaned out the other plugs as well, but I think that one was the problem. Now it runs great! I hope this helps someone else.

#3 ·
Fixed

SOLUTION- sprayed contact/electronics cleaner into each of the plugs for the EFI sensors and problem solved!?! (I already had changed the battery and the fuel filter). I tried unplugging the EFI sensors one by one to see if I could identify the faulty sensor. I knew it had to be an EFI issue because of the way the problem would vanish for 10 min if I shut it off. Something was resetting.
When I unplugged the sensor that runs to the bottom of the engine, the plug had both corrosion and ice crystals/water in it. I sprayed it out with cleaner and plugged it back in. For good measure, I cleaned out the other plugs as well, but I think that one was the problem. Now it runs great! I hope this helps someone else.
Hey man, not sure if you’re still active on here or not but I’m running into the exact same issue with the exact same sled. I took the air box off to look for the sensor located on the bottom and couldn’t find it. Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.