Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With track off ground revs up and track moves freely with no issues, put it on the ground bogs at 4000 rpm's and will not get up to enough rpm's to fully engage clutch. carburetors cleaned 3 times, belt changed, fuel lines/filters in tank changed, spark plugs changed, fresh prem gasoline, HAC changed, compression checked 140 in each cylinder. Starts on first pull. One thing I have noticed is when adjusting carbs the idle screw has to be turned all the way in and bottomed out to get the idle up to 1600. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Check 2ndary clutch. . A weak or broken spring there will allow clutch to function o.k. when no load (while track suspended) but under load not enough tensi0n and belt sucked down in clutch so the ratio doesn't have enough torque to move sled. and bogs engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1995 skidoo summit 670 I just looked at my belt on my secondary clutch and it's riding about 1/2" from the top of the sleave and it's my understanding it should be flush or a 1/16" above the sleave. I also noticed I only have 2 set screws whereas there should be 3 set screws so 1 set screw must have fell out. So I'm assuming this could possibly be my problem the belt riding too low? Would it be like trying to take off in 4th gear in a vehicle with a manual transmission? Thank you

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is a good "rough" analogy.

In this static condition you should only have about 1 inch slack if you run a straight edge across the top of the belt and push down slightly in the center of the belt.

You said you changed the belt so I'm assuming this is a new one and proper length etc? If it is too short or long that will also add to the bad gear ratio. I would bet that the 2ndary spring is either broke or badly fatigued and needs replacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts