Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pal just recently dumped his 1995 wildcat 700 EFI in my yard to have a look at. It didn't take long to find the problem.

The piston furthest from the clutch is toast as is the cylinder. As i am not really a cat guy, I was wondering if one should replace both pistons and cylinders or just one.

Anything else a guy should do while he's got it ripped apart?

What would cause this to happen? Is it worth fixing?

What would be a reasonable cost estimate in parts alone?

·
Registered
884 Posts
First off, I would get the Top End off and see how bad it really is. If the PTO Cyl. is ok, and the Piston looks good, I would Re-Ring that side and go. I have replaced just one Cyl. before and had no problems doing it. You just have to see how bad the other Cyl. is hurt and how much of the Piston is gone. If there is a considerable amount of Material missing from the Piston, then there is probably some of it down in the Crank Case. Only you will be able to tell that. If it looks like there is Material that is laying in the bottom of the Crank Case, you will need to get the motor out and Flush it good to get all the Shavings out. You might want to look at having the Burnt up Cyl. Re-Sleeved, that might be cheaper. You can always look into some Salvage Yards as well for the Cyl., just depends how much $$$$$$ you want to spend. One other note, make sure you run a Hone through the good Cylinder before you put it back together. All in all, I would bet you could do it for around 300-500 Bucks. Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, I agree,,,,definately find out why in wanted to be churnoble,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if problem is not found it may happen again and again ,just my .02$ ???

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes i agree you must find the reason why it happened or it WILL :hallo1: HAPPEN AGAIN. If you have metal in the base you will have to split the case and clean it out. you can not get it all out if you don't. i have some 700 motor parts if you need them. have fun......... :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is this a common problem with this engine?

How many miles were on the sled?

I just bought a sled with the 700 twin and I'm in the process of checking everything, if you find what caused the blown piston, please post it!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Originally posted by spider@Nov 23 2002, 02:06 PM
Is this a common problem with this engine?

How many miles were on the sled?

I just bought a sled with the 700 twin and I'm in the process of checking everything, if you find what caused the blown piston, please post it!!!
I wouldn't be suprised if he has holes in the bottom or top of his intake boots. That is the first thing I would check. And yes, take them all the way off to check them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts