Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:
Very new here and even newer to sledding. I just got on trade a 1995 zr580 efi which is in mint condition, runs very well but isnt charging. I do not have a repair manual on it yet but did some basic testing. The battery voltage is 12.5 volts then drops to about 11.5 when running.
I checked all grounds and found a broken yellow wire on a small square box underneath the ecm mounted on the frame. Looks to be a regulator of some sort but not my problem (i dont think)
Can anyone give me some ideas or suggestions what to look for. I know about stators but need a wire diagram to ohm out the correct coils. i found another square metal box with more wires mounted beside the small one i found the broken yellow wire on underneath the ecm, anyone know what this piece is ?
Another bit of info i found strange, when i turn the key on, the red battery indicator does come on in the dash but goes off once the sled is running. I would think it should stay on if the charging system was not operating correctly but with a dc volt meter i am getting under 12 volts at the battery when its running.
Thanks for any help at all !

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It sounds like a bad gound wire , But I would go ahead and fix the yellow wire and then test it again.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here is a link to an online parts microfische. Brown's This will not give you service manual info, but it can help you identify parts. Those EFI sleds have a combination voltage regulator and rectifier to provide DC voltage for the ECU and charging the battery, so that may be were your problem lies. You should test the output of the regualtor/rectifier to find the DC out to see if it is functioning and trace it down. The old EFI's were also very sensitive to battery condition. A battery could test OK, but the ECU may not like it and then the sled does not run properly. I'm not saying that is your current problem, but offer that info for future trouble shooting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts