Snowmobile World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a '96 Cougar 550 liquid cooled w/ 4000 miles on it. Price seems half decent (somewhere around CDN$3000).
It's in very good shape and the owner has done a real good job looking after it.
Any concerns with this Make/Model/engine/etc, etc? Any items to "watch out" for? I'm new to sledding so please don't take offense by my questions...

Any feedback or pointers you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I owned a 97 Cougar 550. It was a great sled. The hp is in the mid to upper 80s area. The stock clutching has alot to be desired. It is very conservative clutching with not so great low end but good for trail riding, better gas mileage, and belt life. Mine had fastrack rear suspension and aws 4 front end. Made for a good package heavier in the front end then my zr but not to bad. The motor in my opinion is bullet proof i've never heard of any engine or clutch problems on them. I would definetly add plastic skis. If its in great condition like you say the price sounds good.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The only thing I would say, If you can afford a little more $$ go with a '97 & up model to get the Extended Travel Tunnel & Torque Sensing Link. Translation, better rear suspension with more travel!

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
The 550 is a good reliable engine... I think that 4k miles is a little high and for 3000 cdn/1500 roughly US i think you could better... My buddy just bought a 98 with 900 miles for 2100 and its very nice.. The ETT with the 13.5 inches of travel rides much better

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
$3000 is too much

I say maybe $2400 or so Canadian

I bought my 95 STX 583 for $2400 last year

All Cougars from 95-98 had AWS 3 not 4

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I know that the 97s didn't have the tsl. The tsl does make a difference in the way it handles but not alot. The best way to go for the same hp and much better setup all the way around would be to find a 98 zl or zr 500. You would get the newer suspension, lighter frame, roller secondary clutch, and plastic skis. Some of the biggest improvements in my opinion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
$3,000 is way too much for a 96' w/ 4k on it, in 99' I bought a 99' 600 for $4,200 w/ less than 500 miles on it. I would definatley shop around or try talking him way down..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts