Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is about to purchase a 96 Indy 500 with 2,400 miles, lady driven, 96 studs, reverse, very clean, and cover for $1800. I personally am an arctic cat man, and he wants an arctic cat as well, but this is his first sled and I know the reliability history behind the 500 (which is a good one). I really wanted to find him a zr 500 but I think this may be a good deal.

My first question does this seem like a good deal?

Second question, did these sleds have any repeating problems or anything that I should be looking for? I'm pretty confident that the motor is bullet proof, so what about the rest of the sled? How long should he get out of the clutch if driven like the average person? What is the rear suspension like?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The reliability of an indy 500 rates up there with an anvil. this seems like a very good deal. The zr 500 is a stronger sled but the I 500 will be more reliable, get better fuel mileage and the clutch should be good for 5K if kept clean and ridden reasonable. The extra-10 skid gives a decent ride. no reacuring problems.
Tom

·
Registered
272 Posts
I rode one for 3 years, put gas in it, oil in it - ride. I had no problems what so ever with the thing. Its got 6k on it now and just the normal hyfax, wear bars, plugs, belts etc have been done - awesome sled.

·
Registered
468 Posts
the fuji built 488 liquid is hands down one of the most reliable sled engines ever built.even though they aren't by any means power houses by todays standards if i was looking for a good second sled i would go buy a new one tommorow or used for that matter .i would say if the price is right go for it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sound like the price is right would like to find one like that myself. the only thing that would help this sled would be some clutch work and some fox shocks and the bigger sway bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts