Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been without a sled for about 5 years now.  (I've been married for just over 5 years now - you guys figure it out.)  

I used to have a 1993 Indy Storm and 1990 Indy 500.  Loved them both.  I've gotten the OK to get a sled for the upcoming 2002-2003 winter and figure I should be able to get something like a '96 XCR 600 for $2000-2500.  Does this sound right?  Do you think I'll be happy with something like this considering the last sled was the 750 Storm?  I think the HP on the Storm was a little over 100HP.  How does the '96 XCR 600 compare?

Thanks.  Think Snow (just not until November or so...)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The 600's are one of Polaris's problem childs. Some people can't keep the bottom ends together, some have thousands of miles on them without a hint of trouble.(I have an 8000 mile XLT that's never had a wrench on it) Most would agree that the 600's are controversial. Don't go with anything older than 96 though. You want the newer style suspensions. In your price range, to get performance similar to what you are used to, I'd recommend an Ultra 680 (same bottom end as the 800). '96 is single exhaust, but plenty peppy, or just go with a Storm. Storms are pretty reasonable as they don't have the VES and are sluggish compared to the others in it's size range. Storm is still a pretty potent trail package in any case. One other thing to consider, the VES valved engines are worth the extra money if you can swing the deal past the finance minister(wife&#33
. Improved performance, fuel milage, and they even run quieter. If you must have a triple, as I would, the earliest (cheapest) VES would be the 99 800 XCR. Going price for those not that much more than what you are talking. Same basic engine still in use in the '03 XCR. You might want to check them out. Welcome back!

AL

A

·
0 Posts
Definitly stay away from the 96 600 triple.  The oil journals on the crank were not enough to keep the crank lubed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you are stuck on the 600 triple, I would look for a 98 xcr. These motors had the added oiling lines to the bearings and were pretty good runners once they are set up right. Good luck!

A

·
0 Posts
My manager bought a 98 XCR600 this past winter and it is a d*#! good machine.  Granted this machine was bone stock against my ZRT they ran great together, but still couldn't catch me.  That XCR is a looker too, and rides smoother that my ZRT.  <--Giving credit where credit is due.
 <--Not bone stock

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have got a 96 XLT Special w/ the 600 triple and just over 5000 miles and no problems. This machine runs like a charm. Just my .02

·
Registered
282 Posts
With some clutching and some jetting, that 98 will really run good. My brother in law has one. believe it or not, it has over 9000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 96 xcr600 sp was a dog until I geared down one tooth and re-jetted/clutched it.  After that she screamed.  It was a little heavy, but the handling was very predictable and all in all the motor was very reliable.  I never had a problem, ever.
Those triples sure do sound nice!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts