Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take off the chain case cover to clean things out. How hard is this on a machine with reverese? (1997 700 triple) Does it go off and on easily, or are there springs and gears that come flying out when the cover comes off?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
No big problem here, just note the orientation of the lever linkage. The only thing to be carefull of is the shift fork on the inside and the reverse idler gear shaft sometimes stays in the cover. If this happens the thrust washer fall down to the bottom of the case and has to be re installed on the case side of the idler gear.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I believe your model doesn't have a handy drain plug, like some others do. The biggest part of the job, is removing the exhaust and all the related springs. I have done this job annually on my sled, and I have never seen any real build-up of any kind. But, having said that, I also change the oil in the chaincase a couple times a season by sucking the oil out with a suction gun ( looks similar to a grease gun, without the lever). This probably removes 80% to 90% of the dirty oil. Takes 10 minutes for an oil change...so if you did this a couple of times this year, it would flush any build-up or contaminants out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts