Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought the 1997 POLARIS XLT 600 and he wants to know is it reliable, tank capacity, mpg,.. If you have any information let me know please.. Thanks alot

·
Registered
57 Posts
My dad just bought the 1997 POLARIS XLT 600 and he wants to know is it reliable, tank capacity, mpg,.. If you have any information let me know please.. Thanks alot[/b]
I thank it has the monoblock tripple single pipe motor in it. They were not that great of a motor, he should of got a xcr, would have liked the tripple tripple much better. More power and last alot longer. The monoblock tripples had alot of crank problems. If he is just looking for a sled to cruise around on they arnt that bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They are very reliable not uncomon to run 10000 mile without touching them

as long as you dont add pipes to them you will be fine with the crank

i had a 93 and sold it with 8900 miles on original motor!!

one issue is with the needle and seat in the carb, had the problem myself and heard alot of people complain about them. once you replace them you should be good

Not sur on tank capacity or mpg but souldnt be to bad

sure the xcr has more power but im sure your dad will be happywith it !!! if not look for a clutch kit and it will perk it up quite a bit

hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
They were a good sled. Polaris had crank problems on the early models, but being that its a '97 it should be fine.
I know that I definetly wouldnt want a triple-triple XCR. They were too noseheavy for my liking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They were a good sled. Polaris had crank problems on the early models, but being that its a '97 it should be fine.
I know that I definetly wouldnt want a triple-triple XCR. They were too noseheavy for my liking.[/b]
Yah they r heavy but they handle great in corners, and she can move. I actually rebuilt a
97 xlt engine for a buddie. The crank broke but still ran for a while, i just replaced the crank. Rebuilt the upper end while i had her apart. Hasnt had a problem since, they are good sleds for sure.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I know that I definetly wouldnt want a triple-triple XCR. They were too noseheavy for my liking.[/b]
Couldn't agree more.
THe XLT's were great sleds, though I think the 97 was in the Evolved chassis, which I didn't like nearly as much as the Wedge. The monoblock, however, was awesome. Not that much hp by today's standards, but smooth, light, and very dependable as long as they weren't tweaked.

The triple-triple in the Agressive chassis was, in my opinion, a pig. Difficult to tune, overweight, with very little going for it. Will it beat an XLT is a drag race? Of course, but get off the lake and the XLT is a much better sled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the XLT 's where excellent trail sleds.I had 1998 and just sold it.I put on 11289 miles of trouble free sledding.I had no engine mods and never had to touch it.I put on 1 head gasket at 7000 miles

·
Registered
204 Posts
DON'T CLUTCH IT OR PIPE IT.....unless you want to work on it every singel day. The factory clutch's won't take the heat of a trail clutch kit in slow speed rideing. Puting pipe's on will make you think it's the fastest sled around......till it split's the lower case.

I had a 95 and budy had a 97. I sold mine with 12,000+ mile's. In the sleds history, 3 set's of pipe's and 11 Engine rebuild's with 4 crank's say's DON't PIPE IT. If you want to wake it up regear it. My STOCK xlt would pegg the speedo at 120. My budy's would also do the same.

If you leave it stock it should give year's of service,just make sure you keep up on the rear suspension.....a LOT of those part's are pricey and hard to get.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The later 1997 models had an extra oil tube. That would be an important modification if your dad's doesn't have it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts