Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a chance to buy a 1997 SX 700 for a good price and was wondering if you guys could help me..any problems with the sled?...how's the suspension?...good thing's..bad?

Thanks sledheads!

IndyOneSki

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good sled overall.  I have a '97, and a '98, both identical other than colour.  Also have 2 Ski Doos.  The Yami's rear skid lacks the travel of the Doos, but overall handling is similar.  The handling feels light.  Girlfriend loves the handling since it feels like a very light machine, even though it isn't.  Tops out at just a little shy of 100 mph.   Acceleration is very good up to about 75 mph.  Reliability is very good, other than a design flaw with the rear suspension.  The swing arms all eventually break in these machines.   Yamaha dealerships know about this.  Unfortunately they won't cover it, but they should know of a shop that will weld gussets and strengthen the whole suspension.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You should just spend a little extra and buy a used Viper. You'lll get so much more sled. A dealer was selling them brand new aty the Bronson,MI auction for $5500 in Feb or March. I'm not sure on the used price but it has to be in that area. And So for an extra $1,000-$2000 you'lll get so much more. We also broke the rear arm and welded it ourselves on a 96 vmax600xt. The Viper will do about 115mph true speed. I'd highly recomend a Heelclicker set-up for this sled as it really wakes the viper up. They have the auctions at Bronson every month and they post the going prices the week after the auction ends. So you can go see what they are going for now. Hope this Helps
Caleb

·
Registered
376 Posts
awsome sled, very predictable. I had one and I still praise that sled, I wish I never sold it. put a pair of c&a's on it, the only complaint I had was the steel skis.  the sled has 1600km on it and never a problem except wear and tear parts.

·
Registered
259 Posts
These are very good reliable machines. The aren't incredibly fast for a 700 and do not handle the rough trails well but they are like a ferrari when it comes to fast smooth trails. As for the control arm breaking...that is true but it is not a design flaw. It only happens when the coupling is out of adjustment. The problem was people were playing around with the adjustment in the skid and then not dialing the coupling to accomodate the changes. This resulted in many broken control arms at the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts