Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 T-cat and I am having a problem with it leaking anti-freeze.
I do not see it leaking under the sled, is there any way it could be leaking through the head gasket and going through the engine while I am driving it.
Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing that I would do is check all your lines and fittings for leaks,also look around the top of the cylinders for water stains where coolant could have leaked and dryed.I had this problem with a indy 500 I used to own,I was running the wrong plugs and it ran to hot,blew out the head gasket,some coolant was being leaked into the motor and burned and some came out ,leaving the telltale water marks on the top of the cylinders.I hope this gives you an idea of where to start.look for leaks first,then maybe a head gasket,cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If I am recalling right, I think those sleds would start leaking either from the pump or the hose directly under the pump. But I can't be certain.

newf

·
Registered
791 Posts
Leaks are generally easy to find. If none are obvious, you must be loosing coolant into the engine. Shaft seal on the water pump is first place to check.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, for the quick replys. There are no leaks that are visible on the outside of the sled, so I figure it has to be going into the engine somehow, just haven't been able to figure where its leaking.

·
Registered
210 Posts
this may not be it but,, i had a mysterious coolant leak all last year on my zrt600, couldnt find where it was comin from?,until i tore engine out this summer and found that it was leakin thru, weep hole on water pump housin, the mechanical seal was bad, also replaced pump impeler that was ready to break, could be leakin under that big power plant and your not being able to see it??????

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yes they do have a prob with that. my younger brother still runs the 97 900 the prob is it leaks in the counter balance shaft it has been a long time prob. the coolant just keeps running out. i think it was a machining problem. but it does not seem to hurt the sled in any way just keep checking and topping it off. that still is in my opinion the strongest cat that cats has made. it will smoke any of the newer cats no prob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts