Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What were the specs for the SPX? My new one should run well with a set of aftermarket trip pipes and reeds, maybe some porting.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And what kind of mileage should i expect?
Caleb

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
97 Ultra SPX 135.9hp at 8250rpm AMS shootout :hallo6:

A

·
0 Posts
I see you got rid of the DOOIN in your signature Caleb, is it because you jumped ship? ha ha :D

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There's 6 of us riding Polaris triples together on the trails with lots of horsing around of course. These 6 pretty much include everything Polaris has built in a triple/triple
and singles from XLT's through VES equiped XCR's. We all are using nearly the same amount of fuel when we gas up. 10 mpg would be a good average. Haven't got a clue why an XLT gets the same milage as an 800

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must do ALOT of horseing around for that xlt to get 10mpg. My uncle gets into the teens with his 98 xlt limited but he is a cruiser, wants a 2 up in fact. Tim said the 97 spx dyno'd at 128 so I'd have to assume that is real world compared to the mags or that the mags really had it set up and leaned out. We're alreasdy talking about boreing her out and sleeving it to make her a 800,vforce reeds, better trip ipes,etc for 180 trail hp. HE He it never stops.
Caleb

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sled Dogg,

128 seems right, but don't let that fool you. The engine has plenty of potential.

I run a 98 XCR 600 that safely made 125 dynoed last year (91 Octane), and this year I am aiming for 135. I will post official numbers after I get it dynoed.

The case reed 680 3X3 can probably be safely moded at 145+ and still run 91 octane.

Frett Bros. are the best source for your sled. They have the best porting. (These 3x3's seem to have pretty low standards on port timing height - just my opinion)

they have a very good package for your sled right now on sale. Porting and matching the transfers, head mod, reed spacers, Carbon Tech mid tension reeds. All this for about $600. Should boost you to 140+

This mod will make your sled rock!

Also, this case is not oil drilled for the PTO bearing, have it done and upgrade to a 4 oiler pump.

If You Really want to be trail King, go to Hot to go racing for their 800 trail package. I have worked on a few in the shop, Big-Big trail power. But about $2000 (about 175-180hp)

Dynoport or DG silencers fit VERY well on this sled.

Have fun moding it, it's got lots of SAFE potential!

Good luck

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to HTG this morning. They actually said not to go with a 900cc kit. They went through 9 pistons in 600 miles last year on a test sled do to the thin walled 900 sleeves falling in to the crank. he said there 800 kit will make 160hp with the stock pipes & pump gas with over 170hp with there trip pipes on pump gas. And this kit is only 1600 w/out pipes. She'll definetly be tweaked. Fiest mods will be bar hooks, and a 136x1.250 or 144x1.250.
Caleb

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a SPX...decent sled with good power. I also had a '96 XCR 600 SP with a HTG 800 kit and that was one strong sled....much stronger than the SPX. Do the big bore.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Sled Dogg@Oct 31 2002, 06:03 PM
Talked to HTG this morning. They actually said not to go with a 900cc kit. They went through 9 pistons in 600 miles last year on a test sled do to the thin walled 900 sleeves falling in to the crank. he said there 800 kit will make 160hp with the stock pipes & pump gas with over 170hp with there trip pipes on pump gas. And this kit is only 1600 w/out pipes. She'll definetly be tweaked. Fiest mods will be bar hooks, and a 136x1.250 or 144x1.250.
Caleb
Caleb, don't touch the motor, you will be plenty happy with it the way it is.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you AFRAID there Rob? Told you the Ultra SPX cranked soem power out of the factory. Your poor Zert doesn't stand a chance He He!!
caleb

A

·
0 Posts
I'm not afraid, you should be, I have a tendancy to rub when I race, look out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts