Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Venture with Smart Carbs getting terrible gas milage. Just recently completed a trip to St. Donat Canada. Riding with another Yamaha 1995 600 DX. I consisantly used more fuel. At every fuel stop I used approximately 75% more fuel. This was the same whether I was riding point or ar the back of the pack. This problem has been addressed with the dealer since the sled was new and seems to be getting steadly worse as the sled gets older. The sled runs great! No fouled plugs,no bogging, no fuel leaks, no raw fuel smell, not running rich at idle or full throttle or anything out of the ordinary except I cannot drive past a gas station.I did have something happen this past trip for the first time that may have something to do with the problem.Three or four times during the second day of the trip on a 220 mile loop the machine stumbled, like the electronic interuption of the idle when T.O.R.S system kicks in. The diagnosis lite on the dash started to flash. I would let it idle for a second or two and it would be fine. This sled is equipped with SMART CARBS and the owners manual says the lite monitors sensors, water temp. etc. Could this be a sensor that has been slowly going away giving false information to the ECU ? Don't know and neither does my dealer! I also suspect clutching may be adding to the problem.Engagement spec is 3800 RPM amd I am engeging at around 4200-4500. The clutch has been serviced yearly by the dealer since new and he can't find anything wrong. I suspect wrong spring and or settings. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This might help, might not, I had the same problem with a sled that every one said was suposed to get great milage, & a friend of mine had a model that was not known for getting good mpg, after a few trips using twice the fuel then him I was trying every thing to "fix" the problem, but with no luck! So one ride just for the hell of it we decided to switch machines
& guess what happend? yep his sled got terrible mpg. & mine got great mpg.  

just the differences in riding styles (& the fact that I can't keep my thumb from having seizures on the fun button) made all the difference. if you get the chance switch with someone for a tank, just to see?
RUNS GOOD, NOT FOULING PLUGS,POOR MPG.could = clown throttle.
if thats not it check shift RPM, should be 7800/+-200, high or low can create poor mpg. Track tension too tight can also affect mpg.
 good luck hope this helped

·
Registered
6 Posts
I came across that problem too. I have a 96 V-Max 600 XT and heard the gas mileage wasn't to good.  After trail riding with friends I find that it's not much different than the other machines (98 SXR & 97 VMax 700 SX). It just appears that my fuel guage is more accurate than theirs.  I have asked them how's their fuel, I'm told just a little under full while I'm reading 1/2 to 3/4 area. At gas stops I might take a little more but not a lot more.  
Over all I'm happy with mine
 I've but about 400 trail miles on it so far this season.  I've just had to travel north

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts