Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
o ya paulie, that sled will be mint! but ill still whoop ur *$$ on the trails w/ my 97 zr 440! maybe not on the lakes tho.........

·
Registered
310 Posts
i guess to hell he is, hes crazy enough, not to mention an 800..... hbomb lets get him a 380 fan.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's a tough sled to ride slow. It takes a while to get used to it. In the blink of an eye you go from 30mph to 70mph & it still pulls hard until the needle is buried deeper than you ever thought possible! It's a heavy sled! But alot of fun! I would say NO, not a good choice for 14 - 15 year old.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hate to ruin your dreams kid, but no. You'll run yourself through a tree before you even see it coming. It's a fun sled AFTER a few years of experience and you've built up enough to handle it. :hallo6:

·
Registered
210 Posts
no way is that a good sled for anyone without some experince under there belt, both my buddies have 97 800's and i'll tell you when goin across the lake at full song on one of those, you'd better be hangin on, they are scary fast, your better off to work your way up to the big irons first..............i'm runnin my 600 1 more season then i'm gettin a thundercat1000

·
Registered
516 Posts
i bought my '99 ZRT 800 when i was 18 but for anyone younger and little experience it will be OUCHY TIME!! I'd start him out small then graduate to bigger sleds later ;)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If you want a ZRT, just get yourself a 600. It is still wicked fast and there is hardly any difference between the 600 and 800 until you get past 100mph anyway.
Even the 600 zert may be a bit much for a 16 yr. old though. You have to make the RESPONSIBLE decision, or your parents should that is. ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
no offence or nothing but your way off your rocker if you want a 800 cc at the age of 16.. im there to and even some 600s are to big yet and i have been sledding for 5 years take your time and dont waist your life on a 800 a 600 would be more then enough

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
No way. :withstupid: Way too big a sled for that age. Way to heavy as well. That like a 3 year old riding a kitty kat., when they get stuck what happens go and get mom or dad. Who's going to start it. It pulls as hard as lifting a cinder block with one hand (even with two its tough). I'm 240lbs and workout on a regular basis just so I can start my zrt800, there are some days I find it hard to pull over, especially when its cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
be afraid...be very afraid :D
[/b]
I wasn't until I read this thread.. I was more concerned about reliability and having to gas up every 30 miles...now I'm wondering if I might kill myself before I even have to worry about that.. :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a 97 and 2000 ZRT 600 and even they were on the heavy side and hard to start on a cold morning. My wife found it hard to handle at slower speeds. An 800 would be that much worse. They're more of a lake racer than a trail handler, and don't get it stuck, heavy as heck...
I would suggest getting a liquid cooled twin which is more lightweight and easier to handle. Maybee something in the 500-600cc range (ZR or ZL).
Good luck and let us know what you end up buying :) !!

Steph

·
Registered
75 Posts
My first ride out when I got my 97ZRT600 I almost didn't make it back in one piece after the first crack of the throttle. That 600 was way more than what I was expecting and it left me draggin by a boot
As a parent, the 800 is definitely not for a kid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts