Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have any information about this sled?

I am considering one and I just want to know if anyone has had any good/bad experience with them, I had a 92 Mach 1 with a 670 and the motor seemed pretty good.

The machine also has electric start and reverse.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can't go wrong with that 670 rotary valve.It is a rock solid motor that will be trouble free and dependable.I had a 1997 MXZ670 and it was arguably the best motor i have owned in all the ski-doo's i have had.If the price is right and it is in good condition i would jump on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My dealer has a brand new left over 1999 formula z 670,' 99 mach 1, and a 99 touring 800 all brand new!!!!!!He's from new Brunswick Canada.

·
Registered
660 Posts
dpaige,

If you have to choose, defenetly go for the MXZ. My sled vacation buddy has one and it's a great sled. The advantages over the FZ 670 same year are:
HPG racing shocks in front
HPG racing shocks in back
Sport rear suspension
Cross country racing style plastic skis

Considering they are the same displacement, there is no question I would go for the MXZ. I've ridden it often, it's a real torque monster with great throttle responce. Real snappy. Great backshift and clutching. Overall awsome trail performer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
d,
 The Formula Z has all the bells and whistles (Gauges, electric, etc.)with slightly softer suspension. For pounding and hard riding, the MXZ is the choice. I have a 98 mxz 670 as well as a 97 formula z 583. The 98 Formula z670 has the same motor and carbs as the MXZ670. I must say that the Formula suspension is butter soft for long haul riding and really not that bad. Really uses the full travel of the suspension well. Either sled will be nice. Cut a good deal.

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ThanX Guys.

I am kinda set on an MXZ of some type.

They both have similar milage.

The Formula has electric start and reverse but it is about $1000 more expensive.  The engine has been rebuilt by a very reputable ski doo dealer and has 0 km on it.  I don't know as much about th MXZ but it looks to be in really good shape too.

I was hoping to get a 2001 MXZ 800 but I think the 670 will do.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hold the phone guy's! The 670 is a great motor but the suspention on an mxz is mighty rough. dpaige, if your a young lad then go for the back breaker other wise, the formula Z is a MUCH better ride.
IMO I would go for the Mach1, this has HPG shocks but a milder version of the mxz. I owned a 97 Mach1 and it was an awsome piece of machinery! You cant beat the power and smoothness of a triple. I believe in 99 they have an oil line running directly to the pto bearing, the only problem with the 700. It also has about 138 H.P. compared to 125 of the 670.
If mileage is a consern the Mach gets around 13-15 compared to 10-12. I owned twins before but they just dont walk the walk and talk the talk of a triple! I love my 800 Mach

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi,
  I have a 98 Formula Z 670 and I really like it. The only real difference between the MXZ and the FZ is the suspension. I really like the smoothness of the ARM suspension but if you are mogul mashing then the SC-10 would probably suit you better. You can run the track really loose on the ARM and it wont rachet too, thats free horsepower! If I lift up the back of my sled the track droops about 3 inches and it has never ever racheted. The ARM suspension is very good at smaller bumps but bottoms out in the big stuff. To be fair my shocks are 3200 miles old. I have new ones on order however and I just got the AD Boivin upgrade kit so it should be much improved this year. I'll keep you posted. Hope it snows soon so I can try it out!
            Ryan

·
Registered
328 Posts
I too have heard the a ARM suspension is not the way to go if you ride hard in the moguls.  I was told it is not durable enough and my dealer has seen it break before.  

·
Registered
89 Posts
dpaige, I currently own a 98 FZ 670.  It rides plenty smooth for the trails in ontario.  I find the MX-Z a little rough for normal trail riding, but better for big jumps.  You can still do everthing with the FZ though.  Mine is for sale if you are interested.  I put the flex-skis on it and it really improved the handling along with 96 woodys.  It is in mint shape and I'm right in your neighbourhood.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dpaige,...... I have a 98 FZ670 with the arm suspension, there are a half dozen or so guys on here that ride them. My thoughts,.... great bullet proof motor, (same exact motor is in the mxz)  for $100.00 bucks you can put in a 501 rotor, shorty boots,  a yellow clutch spring,and  280 ramps in the clutch...(none of which shorten the engine life) and you'll be able to run with a lot and I mean a lot of sleds...we'll you be the fastest NO but you will definitely be in the hunt! If speed is not your thing, this motor runs great bone stock, with plenty of muscle...... in the mid range.
As for the arm suspension its not a ditch banger, but it does pretty well. It has a little higher center of gravity so it doesn't 'bend" around the corners like the SC10's do. If your in to what I call "performance cruising" it's a great ride. I happen to think it handles big or small trail bumps just fine. you do need to put the bovien spring upgrade kit on it, which are a little stiffer, and one piece springs as opposed to the 2 piece units. I've lost a few bolts out of it on long rides (it wants to through the main center pivot bolt which gets all the pressure on it, even if its lock-tited in) and torn up a couple slide saver wheels but nothing major. It seems easy on hy-fax. Mileage is 12 cruising, 10 cranked up... Over all this sled is a very good choice, that said, they only made the arm 2 years, the SC-10's do a nice job these days, and I would probably go that route. The 670 motor will be great in any sled... just my thoughts... DooZ.

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx for all the input guys.

I don't know if I am going to buy this sled after all.

I have a line on a 2001 MXZ 800 with the X package and it's a really good price, so I think I am going to go with the MXZ.

I haven't seen the 800 yet so who knows what will happen.

Thanks for the advice.

Any opinions on the MXZ 800?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Donovan.  Make sure you have a real good look at it.  Guys that buy 800 x's ride the snot out of them usually.  Look for accident damage.  They are a great machine though, just make sure you don't get taken.  Should I hold off on taking mine out of storage?  Keep me informed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts