Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled out my sled out of hibernation and it wouldn't start. So I did the usual; checkecd for spark(good) checked for fuel in lines(didn't see any) so I pulled the airbox and still couldn't tell. I then proceeded to pull the carbs and took them apart and cleaned them jets needles etc.....turned over motor to see if the fuel pump was working(good) I put the carbs back in and cranked it for a bit and.....it started!!!!!! however it was misfiring. I let it warm up and took it for a spin and it wasn't running so well, at low idle the headlight and dash lights would dim and flicker like crazy. i brought it back to the garage and pulled the plugs and the two outer plugs looked great(a nic brown) the center plug looked very rich. Anyone with any ideas out there? I'm kinda of stumped and want to get out on the trails asap! any help would be appreciated!!

Tommy :withstupid:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fresh Gas, new plugs, you might have to adjust the idle after cleaning the carbs....that's what I find anyways. Also, check to make sure your plug boots are tight and making good contact. If the centre is still lean after that.....oil pump.... oil line?.... I dunno?....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fresh Gas, new plugs, you might have to adjust the idle after cleaning the carbs....that's what I find anyways. Also, check to make sure your plug boots are tight and making good contact. If the centre is still lean after that.....oil pump.... oil line?.... I dunno?....[/b]

thanks, I will try your sugestions. the center plug is running very rich as if it not getting proper spark.....do you think it might be electrical? i heard that the 1998 triples are horrible for electrical issues.......

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The 98 had issues with the wiring harness under the engine, and it effects the ignition.
The engine has to be removed and the wiring harness inspected and repaired if nec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 98 had issues with the wiring harness under the engine, and it effects the ignition.
The engine has to be removed and the wiring harness inspected and repaired if nec.[/b]
O.K., I guess I will start with the basics.....A compression test and then work my way to the electrical. How difficult is it to change the stator if that ended up being my problem? I'm hoping it's not the wiring harness as pulling the engine doesn't sound like too much fun :bash:

·
Registered
109 Posts
i know on my 98 mxz 500 their are 10 internail coils on the statior. you should try running your sled in the drakness to see it any wires were shortening out ( sparking on metal).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts