Snowmobile World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a line on a 1998 mxz 583, 1700 miles well maintained,freshly serviced, new track and slides,never studded. Guy wants $2,000, KBB says $2700, how was this sled for reliability?
Thanks for replies..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
These are pretty much bulletproof sleds.I have heard of some problems with the 98s having some cracking problems in the front arm of the rear suspension.This isn't a big deal though and may have already been fixed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Mxz 583 is a great sled and the S-2000 is a great chassie as well. Not the same caliber as a rev but not as much $ either. I would however be alarmed though if it is advertised with 1700 miles and had the track replaced. It should raise a red flag. A sled with that milage should not have the track replaced. Did he give an excuse why it was replaced. I am willing to bet the speedo has been turned back. Beside a 98 with only 1700 miles...I would be leary. However not a bad price though if it is in good shape and he is being honest. I have always ran studded tracks and have never replaced a track in my life. I keep my sled for 2-3 yrs or 8000-10000 miles, whichever comes first and the tracks are still in good shape. Be sure to check it over well. Do you know what and where to look for defects on that chassie?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd also be careful with the 1700 miles, i know people i ride with that disconnect there speedo's that really have 14000 kms and only 2800 on the speedo which is very dishonest but there are always people that have to cheat to get more money for there sleds

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love mine. rides great for a 98. handles good and is strong. As far as the cracking in the rear suspension mine had that and i found out when i jumped a big snowbank in the UP an it let loose. oh well its just money and parts. If the rest of the machine doesn't look beat i wouldn't worry about the track strange things happen.

·
Registered
272 Posts
:inlove: i have this sled and i will never sell it i have had about 14 diffrent sleds in the last 3 years i buy them and sell them used but i will not sell the 98 mxz it handles awasome and rides great it has decsent power never a problem on the trails and on the lakes with a mod or 2 you can realy get some power out . the front end feels so light on the snow in the corners . i just love it all around great sled plus that yellow always stands out freshly waxed going down the trails i would'nt worry about the miles there are more honest people out there then there are crooks plus this model doesn't have to be tampered with or slicked up to be worth buying .. trust me you will not regret it for the money!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, i know this guy personally an loves sleds and riding. He bought the sled used with 700 miles for his kid. His kid is now moving up. The track he says needs replacing due to a damaged spot, puncture from a rock or something. He is handing me a brand new 1" kevlar replacement track to install and a set of sliders.
Looking to get it for my son, he's been ridng the wifes 02 mxz 500 fan for 2 years and I thought it would be good upgrade for him.
Thanks again.
Rubber Side Down

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thats basically what i did only i moved up from a phazer to my 98 583. There is a small group of us who usually ride together maybe 10 and there was 3 98 583's i put stickers on mine to tell them apart. never had a prob between the 3 of us. I wouldn't be scared especially if you are getting a new track.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Rave on & Ghost face bring up good points on the mileage issue. It's a joke. I'm selling my sled & saying it has 9400 miles on it, simple as that. If they don't like the way it looks tough. I had one guy say he can get a sled for less w/ half the miles. I didn't have the heart to tell him you can disconnect the speedo cable in less than a minute.

If I was buying a used sled, I think the number of miles or klicks on it would be the last thing I'd worry about. If the sled looked clean & well maintained that's what I'd look for.

My last renter & I both bought '98s, his a MXZ 583, mine a 500. I sold mine after 3 years & got 4500 for it. I'd be surprised if he would have been able to get that. His had way less miles, but it was all beat up.

About the only way to verify mileage/klicks would be to take a sled to the dealer & they can download the hours thru the MPEM. You could then tell if the sled had a lot of hours on it or not. (Sorry, but the S chassis sleds don't have the MPEM)

·
Registered
172 Posts
The 583 in its stock form is probably the best motor ever built. The sc-10 is a piece of crap for comfort but you can beat the hell out of it. Snow Goer did a little article on it a while back for quality used sleds and they featured the MXZ 583. Its still a great sled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.