Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 98 MXZ 583 w/2000 miles in mint shape. I'm curios if anyone out there has owned one, and what you liked/disliked about it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Skidoorider,
I had a 97 mxz 583 and loved it bought it new in 97 and put 20,000 miles on it
 with NO problems I only did routine maintance and ran non-synthetic oil. I saw the sled last winter and the new owner has not had any problems either.
All i can say is BULLETPROOF. Sorry i sold it  

·
Registered
269 Posts
20,000 miles...wow! must snow year 'round there...wish i could log those kind of miles!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I had a '98 500 & the only thing I didn't like about it was it didn't have the unequal control arms up front. It had the same amount of inside ski lift as my F chassis MXZ 440 ('95 model) Other than that a good reliable sled.

One other thing the seat material was too sticky, anybody out there have any remedies? Would using a little bit of Armor All help? I know too much & you probably wouldn't stay on

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
That 583 is solid and refined, but IMO it's a major dog.  It's so weak it makes a sled feel heavy.  There's a huge difference between even the 583 and 670.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
there is a 97 mxz 583 in my barn with 12000 miles on it completely wrench free except for idler bearings. it's my brother in-laws sled and he is just thinking about replacing the stud free track. rides it like he hates it and it is in diamond shape.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (performancex @ Aug. 19, 2002, 12:02pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That 583 is solid and refined, but IMO it's a major dog.  It's so weak it makes a sled feel heavy.  There's a huge difference between even the 583 and 670.[/b][/quote]
I must say that it is slightly underpowered. My old 00 MXZ500 would just walk all over my buddys 583.  

·
Registered
99 Posts
Excellent Sled!  And no, they are not dogs.  If they are well maintained and clutched they run very good.  The biggest complaint about this sled is that it has a lot of inside ski lift.  To reduce ski lift and improve the ride buy an ETS SC10 kit and run the limiter strap as short as possible.  I am sure that you will be very pleased with this sled.  This may be the most bullet proof sled ever built.

·
Registered
28 Posts
98's are NOTORIOUS for broken front (of the rear suspension) arms.  Check closely for cracks.  They went to a beefier arm the next year.  I snapped mine while vacationing in Canada, and the dealer I brought it to had sold 30 new arms that month.  Every single person I know who's ever owned a '98 SC10 has had to replace theirs.  Not a big job, cost about a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the rear suspension advice. Luckily, I have an M-10 to install in this sled.      RB

·
Registered
176 Posts
Excellent sled , I still have a 583 mxz race sled and nothing new in a 600 twin can pass it. I haven't seen many 600 triples that would pass it either and I'm talking modified. Stock a 700 triple won't catch it, so don't let anyone tell you 583's are slow.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
We had a drag race last year My 1998 500 Vs a 2000Mxz 500.  THe 2000 beat me by a fair distance everytime.  

My buddies stock 1997 formula 583 would walk the 2000 500 every race.

The 583 is the #1 most reliable, longest lasting engine in the industry, Its also a torque monster.

Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts