Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone its my 1st post here so I thought I say Hello to everyone :D . Very new to sleds, dont know much, mainly ride motorcycles. Rocket, dirt bike, pit bikes, I ride them all. Now I want to have something to ride in the long mn winter. After riding my gf's dads mx 600, I think? Ive been wanting one ever since.

I am considering buying 1st sled to mainly to mess around on, probably ditch riding, jumping, trails etc. My budget would be $1-$2k on something I can learn and probably upgrade/mod and then move up to the newer ones once I understand sleds a bit. and Whats a good mod friendly sled thats watercooled?
I live in MN, and where I live you can legally ride on the ditches and etc in my town.

So How does 98 ski-doo formula 500 sound? One im looking at has 2k miles and looks to be in good shape. I would like to stick with 500-600cc sleds and something that can take a beating that I am about to give to it. Any thoughts on which sled would be best for under $2k and what I am looking to do with it.
Thanks,
Yellowrider

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Welcome to SW.......I think the formula 500 is an excellent choice. I had many good times on my formula 500 and it took a beating as well on the S chasis. I wouldn't rule out a zx chasis though, you should be able to find one around 2k in the 2000 yr range, even better in the suspension dept.
[attachment=38865:mxz_00.jpg]
[attachment=38866:uplaying.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
formula 500 will bottom out easy if you ditch bang it, it's a smooth trail sled. get a mxz. i bought a 98 formula 500 last year at hay days for 750 dollars. my opinion, the s-2000's are tougher than the newer sleds, more plastic=lighter weight=breaks easier

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good info everyone, just what I was looking for. Sounds like you guys have lots of experience. Heres the link to the one I was looking at. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/425206976.html
It looked clean and Im sure I could have knocked a few dollars off the price.
Sounds like the mxz is what I am really looking for, I think thats what the gf's dad had. I probably do most ditch banging and would like something with decent suspension or least upgradeable.
I just started school for motorsports and marina, that covers bikes, boat, jet skis, and sleds so something that i can work on with some potiential would be best. Plus I have the bug of modding everthing I have and enjoy every minute of it.
So 2000's is what I want to look for? Can you guys give me some exact models?Hopefully something that I can ride for 2 years.
Man, I forget what its like to be a noob all over again in the forums :whistling: . If any of you guys have motorcycle questions I might be able to answer them as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that 500 will keep up with most sleds and riders with a few modifications (non engine). the stock clutching is pretty quick and it has some good backshift which help you in the corners. You will probably want to put a 1 1/4 track on it though, the lugs it has are pretty small.

Stock don't pay over 1200 for that sled and 1400 for a 583. They are good sleds but market price is right about that. Any questions let me know. I love the old S chassis and know them pretty well. You will find one other S chassis guru around here... thumbdoctor

here is some good reading CLICK

welcome to SW[/b]

Very informative. Thanks labudda

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 98' formula 3 700 that I bought used for around 2k... It had 1,500mi. on it and it's been very good to me... I love the power but it wouldn't be the best ditch banger as it's a 3 cyl. engine (heavy)... The sled you are looking at looks good but as you know, looks can be deceiving...Check it out thoroughly.... O.K.. now for my motorcycle question.. I have a 92' suzuki katana I bought new way back when and it now has 60k miles on it and has never been dropped.. It looks and runs like new however the charging system OVER charges the battery..I can smell battery acid on a long trip and when I put a volt meter on it when the bike is running it's running around 15+ volts!. (new battery last year)... The battery constantly needs water.... I put a new voltage regulator in it and and it's still over charging, just like before. Thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts