Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my sled last night after taking it out of storage. After looking a few minor things, I tried to start it with the pull cord and it would not start. I added some gas, checked the spark and they were fine. Anyone have any ideas as I am fairly new at owning and maintaining snowmobiles.

Thanks

A

·
0 Posts
Someone here had the same problem on their 500, I think it was 5youngs but it ended up being a stuck float in the carb. Tap on them with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
:withstupid: Look back a few pages and you will find it. Look for the topic that says something about not starting. Every possible fix is listed in there. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Did you turn the fuel switch on? Was the machine fogged in the spring and the fuel stablizer added to the fuel tank when you put it away? Are the plugs wet after you try starting it? it not I would put fuel in the spark plug hole, just a small amount, 1/4 cup or so in each. Put the spark plugs in and see if it fires over.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What I found out on our ZR 500 what that the floats/valves were stuck. As soon as the sled was loaded on the trailer to go to the dealer they must of worked free and the sled started on the 4th pull by the mechanic!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
When -----if you try to put gas in the plug hole only put in about a teaspoon or so put plugs inand then give it a pull it may take several trys, but that should get the fuel started to flow.
Of course put fresh fuel( with Seafoam fuel stabelizer,seafoam seams to clean things up prety good), in the tank after you drain it. If she doesn't start then remove and Clean carbs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Originally posted by Firecat@Nov 7 2002, 10:45 PM
When -----if you try to put gas in the plug hole only put in about a teaspoon or so put plugs inand then give it a pull it may take several trys, but that should get the fuel started to flow.
Of course put fresh fuel( with Seafoam fuel stabelizer,seafoam seams to clean things up prety good), in the tank after you drain it. If she doesn't start then remove and Clean carbs.
Teaspoon ain't goin to get it done..... Good luck. :(

·
Registered
533 Posts
It would be a good idea too take your carbs off and clean them. Chances are the old fuel left in the carb bowls has left some residue, this can cause your floats to stick and mess up your jetting.

Not hard. Get some carb cleaner from your local hardware store.

Take air box off. Loosen up the ring clamps to the carbs and the fuel lines, and yank off. Be sure to plug the fuel lines with something. You should be able to do everything with out disconnecting the cables.

Make sure you have some rags. Remove the main jet (bottom of carb) and the bowl should come right off. Don't drop the washers.

newf :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts