Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone look in the AC service manual and get the lower chaincase sprocket(bolt/spring washer) torque spec. for me? I have the 2002 service manual and it is a different lower chaincase gear set-up than the 99's. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. 1999 ZL600 EFI.
-JLeosnow

·
Registered
190 Posts
JPL,
As per 99 T-Cat shop manual...Secure the top sprocket with a lock nut (threads coated with red Loctite #271) and spring washer.  Tighten to 35-40 ft-lbs.  Tighten bottom sprocket lock nut to 35-40 ft-lbs...

Check alignment of sprockets with straightedge.  If clearance exceeds .030 in. shimming is necessary.  

This should work in your sled........Bogie

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bogie,

Thanks for the info.  I do wonder though, the manual makes reference to upper and lower sprockets using "lock nuts" and the bottom sprocket on this sled uses a 'bolt' wich is much smaller than the upper sprockets lock nut.  The upper sprockets lock nut is a NUT,FLEX-LOC 1/2-20, and the lower bolt is a 3/8-16X1 cap screw(bolt) witch seems that it would use less torque than the 1/2" nut since it is much smaller.... I don't want to flatten or damage the pyramidal washer that goes on this bolt.  Any ideas?  
-JLeosnow

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just incase you might be interested, there is a 1999 ZL service manual listed on ebay right now.  There is prox 5 days left on the auction.  It always nice to have the service manual for the sleds we have.  Probably be able to pick it up pretty cheap.  The link to the auction is below.

Link to service manual

·
Registered
959 Posts
if you still need the specs or dif ones one of my frinds has all the books from 90-02

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have the 99 zr500-600 carb model service manual.  I think it has two different torque specs.  I'll look for you in the morning.  It has come in really handy to have a service manual.  Just wish i could find a 00 one instead.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zr500,

Thanks, that would make sence to me abvout having 2 different specs.  I will check back here later for what you find out.  I have an 02 manual if you need anything from that....
-JPL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
JPL in my service manual for 99 zr500&600 it says  35-40 on the top sprocket and 19-24 on the bottom sprocket.  Sorry it took so long to post this.  Thanks for the offer.  I could used some information on a 02 steering a few days ago but i got it all figured out know.  Hope this helps and just ask if you need anything else out of this maunual.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zr500,

Hey, thanks a lot for the info.  I figured that there would be 2 different specs for the lower sprocket, 1 spec for the 'newer' type driveshaft/gear combo(outside of shaft threaded using a locknut) and a different spec for the 'older' style driveshaft(inside of shaft threaded using a bolt).  I had already assembled the sled, torquing it to 20 lbs.  I based the torque spec. on the size of the bolt(3/8"), but needed a confirmation...  I ordered a manual for the 99 ZL/ZR EFI's the other day (hopefully it will still be available). With that, I shouldn't have to bug you anymore!  

Thanks again!
-JPL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts